Please sign in to post.

Basel????

Bought the Rick Steves guide to Switzerland — 2023 edition. Basel does not seem to appear in the index. Is the city listed under another name? Am I just missing it?

Posted by
363 posts

Basel is not a RS pick of cities in Switzerland. I have been once on a night train lay over at about 23:00 it was beautiful. I'm not much help, sorry about that. J

Posted by
4768 posts

I'd Google the Tourist Information Center in Basel for current events. Basel is also very close to Colmar/ Strasbourg, France, and the Alsace wine region.
Have a great trip!

Posted by
6916 posts

Basel is a nice place, worth 2-3 nights I'd say. The old town is quite pretty (though not as much as Bern or Strasbourg) and there are some top-class museums, especially if modern art and design are your things.

Posted by
422 posts

OP, I am going to Basel in December and my library had a recent Fodor's Switzerland that covered Basel which I found somewhat helpful. I bought the RS Switzerland guide knowing it didn't cover Basel, but I'll be in Zurich too, so I found it helpful anyway.

@Carrie, thanks for re-posting your trip report, especially re: Colmar and Strasbourg. I was debating whether I wanted to take a day trip to one of those places, and I think you've helped me make up my mind, as beautiful as they look online.