Please sign in to post.

Base in Interlaken - Feb 2017

Hi Everyone

I will be coming from Zermatt to Interlaken and staying in Interlaken for 5 nights.
Plan to enjoy free and easy exploration with one day or two of skiing and sled.
Understand that below are some places that I could visit from Interlaken,
1. Junfrau Region
2. Schilthorn

Appreciate if anyone could give some suggestion on other places to visit while I am in Interlaken.
And also, is there any dog sledding in or near Interlaken? We would love to have our activities revolving around dogs.
Thanks.

Side Note
Wonder if it is possible to take a day trip from Interlaken over to,
1. Lucerne
2. Mount Titlis
3. Mount Pilatus
Thanks.

Posted by
1090 posts

Lucerne is more than two hours by train from Interlaken. I would make it another destination stoop on your trip, as oppposed to just a day trip.

Interlaken is just a town on the valley floor and is more of a transportation transfer town, as opposed to a destination. I would encourage you to stay up in the mountains in Wengen or Murren.

Posted by
11315 posts

Go 20 minutes farther by train to Lauterbrunnen, and stay there instead of in Interlaken. Or you can go farther and stay in Muerren or Wengen. It is much more scenic than Interlaken and right in the midst of the things you want to do: skiing and visiting the Schilthorn. There is also great winter hiking. Rick Steves' Switzerland guide covers the area well and much of his advice is adaptable to winter. Just don't plan on staying in Gimmelwald.

I think Lucerne is too far. The mountains of the Jungfrau Region are more dramatic anyway.