Please sign in to post.

Apple strudel

Just for fun topic (although quite important to me and looking for more options to try). What location/restaurant has the best apple strudel in the Lauterbrunnen Valley (including Gimmelwald, Murren and Wengen)? I have my own opinion and will share later.

Posted by
16254 posts

Apfelstrudel is actually Austrian, not Swiss, although you may find nice iterations in any good bakery.

I cannot weigh in on the actual question as I prefer Mohnstrudel ( not Swiss either) or a nice Nussgipfel.

Posted by
8440 posts

To identify "the best", one would have to do multiple tastings at every single location in the area. I would be happy to help you with this task, Bill.

Posted by
11315 posts

We had a very nice one at Klein’s Scheidegg a couple of years ago, mostly apples, barely held together with cake and a pile of whipped cream on the side. The thing was half the size of my head, luckily we shared it.

Mostly we eat strudel in the Val Gardena and I could give you a list there.

Posted by
77 posts

stan and all2alb - Yes, count me in. I'll be around September 10-24 if we want to arrange a sequential tasting. I'd want to include Hotel-Restaurant Stechelberg in the tasting -- my choice so far. Excellent apfelstrudel pastry that comes with a dollop of whipped cream and a gravy boat of vanilla sauce on the side that was just delicious. I first had it four years ago when we stopped there after a hike for a dessert and have gone back four more times. Good lunches and dinners there, too. Not a fancy restaurant by any means, but comfortable inside and a very nice patio outside if the weather is good.

Posted by
174 posts

Not sure if I have ever had it in Switzerland, but I have enjoyed "apfelstrudel mit eis und sahne" many places in Germany. All good, but some better than others. Not sure I spelled it all right.

Posted by
8889 posts

I was in Freiburg im Breisgau today, and had an "Apfelstrudel mit Eis" for my lunch, very nice. Breisgau used to be an Austrian province, does that count?