Please sign in to post.

Appenzell Help

Hi all!

I will be traveling to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland for a few weeks in October.

I only have a few hours to spend in Appenzell, and would like to know some fun things to do.

I would appreciate any tips on where to eat lunch, what places to stop at, any villages to drive through, etc.

Thank you in advance!

Posted by
32210 posts

With only a few hours in Appenzell, I doubt that you'll have time for many "fun things". I'd suggest just exploring the town for an hour or two, and have a look at this unique part of Switzerland. There are some good restaurants there, and if it's open for lunch you might try the Adler Hotel. It's quite a distinctive building, so you can't miss it. As I recall, they have a bakery on the premises.

It's unfortunate that you won't be able to stay there for a few days as that would provide more opportunities.

Posted by
485 posts

The town of Appenzell is very quaint and you will have great scenery all around the area. It is quite small so you will have time to walk along the few streets, look in shops and eat lunch, but probably not much more than that.

Appenzell has some traditional sweets that I always get when I go there. Appenzeller Biberli is my favourite - a gingerbread cookie filled with marzipan. They often have beautiful designs on them and can be a great small gift to bring home with you as well.

https://www.appenzell.ch/de/appenzeller-produkte/appenzeller-spezialitaeten/esswaren/biber.html

In my opinion the best place to buy them is Böhli Bäckerei, although you will find them all over.

Posted by
16 posts

Thank you both for your responses.

We would love to stay there longer, but have opted to spend more time in the Berner Oberland region. I wish we had enough time to do it all!

We will definitely be doing both of your suggestions. I'm excited to try Biberli!

Posted by
11322 posts

Mikayla,
We are just wrapping up a 3-night stay at the Hotel Adler. Their Little Italy restaurant is very good. Ask at the hotel desk or the TI for the guidebook with the Town Walk, which will give you a 30-minute overview walking tour. Then spend some time in the shops, or maybe take a train ride or drive to Wasseraun and ride up to Ebenalp if time permits. (It is only an 11 minute train ride to Wasseraun,) Weather precluded us going to Ebenalp but if the weather is fine, you might try!

Another great lunch option is Chanh, a Vietnamese restaurant with very nice options from the usual in these small swiss towns. Super nice family place with mom and dad in the kitchen and the younger family members out front, serving fresh and delicious Vietnamese specialities.

Hope you have great weather!

Posted by
2 posts

We ate at a delicious cafe/bakery right along the main street in old town, but I don’t know the name of it. I’ve been trying to find it on Google but for the life of me I cannot find it now! We sat at a table out in front. They had delicious quiche, salad, and pumpkin soup. Did they go out of business? It was on a corner.
You could easily spend a few hours exploring the old town.

Posted by
16 posts

Thank you Laurel, and ris.msln1 for both of your advice!

I didn't realize that Ebenalp was so close! We'll definitely take time to do that. We're excited to spend time in the town.