Please sign in to post.

Amawaterway cruise Basel to Amsterdam. Sept2024

Flying from Boston to Zurich. Looking at 2 nights in Zurich and the one in Basel.
I know hotels are very expensive. Any suggestions for smaller, maybe family owned hotels.
Thank you.

Posted by
7312 posts

Everything in Switzerland is expensive. I don't think you're going to find a bargain. Some river cruises pick up/transfer by bus from Zurich, but I've stayed at the airport hotel and it's no bargain either. Both cities are worth an independent visit.

I'm not telling you what to do, but instead of staying in Basel, I stayed in the southern Black Forest, and drove to Basel for the day. There are a number of lovely and unusual "old towns" (and a nice Roman site, Augusta Raurica) by car from Basel to Zurich, and the Rheinfall nearer Zurich.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you.
If I stay outside Basel is there easy transportation from Zurich. I will study maps this weekend. We actually prefer smaller towns.
Now to look at flights which are even more insane!

Posted by
4412 posts

put your budget into booking.com and see what it recommends. you may discover your budget is not appropriate.

easiest thing is to stay at one of the hotels near the airport. or one of Rick's suggestions (hint, hint).

Posted by
699 posts

If your cruise is departing from Basel I would spend the evening before in Basel .You will need to be on board at least 2 if not more hours before departure. Basel is charming . We stayed at a Novotel which was a 5 min walk from train and across from tram to center of town.

Posted by
977 posts

Switzerland is an expensive country, there is not getting away from that. But if you do put in the research and check out the smaller towns and villages, you might find something cheaper. But remember to factor in the cost of transport from these villages to your destination.

Also maybe see if there is a B+B that might suit you:

https://bnb.ch/en/