Please sign in to post.

Altitude sickness?

Does anyone take anti-altitude sickness medicine (acetazolamide) to prevent altitude sickness when visiting Murren and Zermatt (and the nearby peaks)?

Posted by
7866 posts

roger, will you be sleeping anywhere with a higher elevation than Toronto, but lower than Murren and Zermatt for at least 3 nights before you reach those destinations? Doing so will help you acclimatize to thinner air. The pressurized air in a plane also simulates being at a much higher altitude than you’re used to on your flight over, even if for just several hours.

Your doctor will have the best advice for you, but as for taking that medicine when visiting mountains in Switzerland, I didn’t. However, when I was living in the Denver area, I was living at about the same elevation as Murren and Zermatt, and now I’m almost 1,000 meters (3,300 feet) higher than that. Then again, when I do visit places for more than a couple weeks at the approximately 75 meters (260 feet) as Toronto, or even lower, I temporarily lose my altitude acclimatization, and need to take things easy for a few days after coming home. Gradually moving to higher elevations, staying at a place a few nights somewhere in between your starting elevation and the highest elevation destination will let your body naturally adjust to the higher place.

Posted by
15 posts

Roger, check with your doc to rule out any cardiac or pulmonary issues. Ideally, spend a few days at a lower elevation before heading up to Murren or Zermatt. Important to stay hydrated; your urine should be clear/ straw colored. Hiking above those elevations during the day & coming down to sleep at the lower elevation is preferred. Acetazolamide can help with symptoms of altitude sickness, but in conjunction with acclimatization. Have a great trip!

Posted by
1030 posts

If this is a concern for you, please, please consult your doctor do not self medicate. Every year you read of tourist who get into trouble in our Alpine regions because of this.

Posted by
21028 posts

Since Muerren and Zermatt are at the same elevation as Denver, Colorado, I don't give it much thought, but then maybe you are sensitive to those heights.