Please sign in to post.

Adapter

I bought RS continental Europe adapter, in description it lists that it is NOT valid for Switzerland. When I was googling this, I came across contradicting info that adapters are the same. What is your personal experience? Will I have to just suck it up and pay Amazon $15 for one? Thanks

Posted by
4614 posts

Switzerland does use different adapters, we were there in Sept, 2021. SOMETIMES the EU ones work. As long as you're buying a new one, make sure to get one with multiple outlets, as we have SO many electronics to plug in these days.

Posted by
5835 posts

The RS Type C euro plug adapter may work in Swiss sockets. Can be a snug fit in the recessed cavity of the socket. You need a Type J adaper if you need a ground pin.

As a fall back, hotels may have a loaner adptor for the German Type F Schuko plug that would take the RS Type C.

Posted by
2633 posts

I’m the one who told RS last year that the continental Europe adapter they sell did not work for us in Switzerland. 😊 When I was there last the year, the trains and the hotels only took the adapters with the pointy ends, for lack of a better way to describe them.

Here’s a picture of the shape I’m referring to:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077WJYNQ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With those pointy ends, the ones with the curved ends sold on RS will not fit.

Sorry for the lack of technical descriptions. 😊 We were able to get the correct adapter from an electronic store at one of the train stations, but it is huge. So, I bought some of the ones in the link above for my upcoming trip.

Posted by
19052 posts

The trouble with the type C (two pin, non-grounding) "Europlug" is that it is limited by code to 2½ amps (575W at 230V). It is certainly legal for a USB "charger", but not for a hair dryer. It's probably enough for a hair curler or straightener, but, even if that appliance has a dual voltage switch, it probably also has a polarizing plug (one blade wider than the other - only fits in a US receptacle one way). Although Swiss power is polarized, the above linked adapter fits in a Swiss socket two ways, one way defeats the safety feature provided by polarization.

Although it is bulky, this grounding adapter preserves the polarization and would be preferable to a Europlug adapter for polarized devices. Plus, it accepts an American grounding (three prong) plug and has a second receptacle for a two blade American plug.

BTW, if all you want to do is charge phones and other USB devices, this two pin Europlug USB "charger" should work in Switzerland.

Posted by
4324 posts

if you want to be sure, buy a set of all the possible Euro outlet adapters (there should only be 3 or 4). 15 whole dollars? Last of the big spenders I see.

Posted by
19052 posts

Except on the British Islands, where type G is the standard, practically every country (all 31 countries that I checked) on the European continent has receptacles that accept the type C (2 pin, non-grounding) Europlug. So unless you have a 3-prong (grounding) US plug or have a device using more than 575W, the standard Europlug adapter will work. No need for other adapters.

In case you need more than 2½ amps or use a grounding plug, then 29 of those countries use either a type E or type F grounding plug. Fortunately, this plug adapter combines both E & F grounding means and can be used in all of those countries.

The only two other adapters you might need on the European continent are for Switzerland (type J) and probably Italy (type L) (some newer constructions in Italy will have receptacles that accept the type F Schuko plugs).

Posted by
1647 posts

I have used simple Euro adapters all through Switzerland without a problem.

Posted by
367 posts

The problem we've had with Swiss plugs is that sometimes they aren't flush with the wall (as almost every plug is in North America), but instead inset. Some of the adapters we have have the correct prongs, but don't fit into the inset. When we were stuck on our first trip, our hotel provided an adapter for us. If you show up with the wrong one, you can buy the correct one at any main train station