Please sign in to post.

8 days in Switzerland

I've been reading the Travel Forum and have gotten some great ideas for a trip to Switzerland. Need some help planning a September trip after a cruise. I've roughed out the following and am checking if this is enough time in the areas listed or am I missing something?. Not a big hiker but want to see and experience the culture/food/countryside, will travel by train mostly.
Cruise ends in Basel. Train to Lucerne, 1 night
Train to Interlaken area, 2 nights - day trip to Grindelwald. Stay in Wengen? Or on the lake?
Train to Zermatt, 2 nights
Train to Montreux or Lausanne, 1-2 nights
Fly out of Geneva
Thanks

Posted by
700 posts

I would take the train from Lucerne to one if the towns in mountains, not stay in Interlaken. I liked Lauderbrunnen ( my spelling is wrong,it's the town in the valley from which you can get train to Wengen ). Others will disagree but I think this gives you the ability to go take easy trips without having to come back down. I would not go to Zermatt...add those days to wherever you stay here. Take the scenic train to Montreaux for 2 nights. Lausanne is also beautiful. Others can speak to that. We did day trips to Montreaux. Of you are taking the Rhine Cruise from Amsterdam to Basel, you will love it.

Posted by
700 posts

Sorry, just saw you are not a big hiker. Maybe consider staying in Geneva one night it's a beautiful city

Posted by
812 posts

Unless you have a really important reason for spending one night in Lucerne, I would advise taking the train straight from Basel to Wengen. You are spending a lot of time, packing, checking in and out from a hotel. Try to avoid one and two night stays if possible.

Posted by
770 posts

In my opinion, you planned out a nice itinerary for a short period of time. Lucerne is a charming city on the lake. I’d stay in Wengen versus Interlaken to be up in the mountains with the views. I guess I don’t understand people’s aversion to Zermatt. It’s a cute village up in the mountains but I realize expensive and although the weather may be fickle, if it cooperates the Matterhorn is magnificent to see. Have a great trip!