Please sign in to post.

7 nights in Switzerland Oct 2024

We are planning a trip to Switzerland and Italy this fall & plan to be in Switzerland the first week of October - flying in to Zurich, taking a train to Bern, then Zermatt, & Glacier Express to St Moritz. Then trains to Florence (including Bernina Express). I have a quote from a company that books train trips in Switzerland but I believe the cost is much higher than I could book on my own. We’ve never flown out of the States before, so I’m a little concerned about booking on my own with no backup person to call if we have any issues. I’m also concerned with being able to navigate the foreign websites to book trains (so many options) ensuring I’m getting the right train booked. Is it worth it to pay the premium or is doing all of this myself not as difficult as I am imagining? (We are also planning to purchase the 8-day Swiss Pass.)

Posted by
16338 posts

Swiss trains are very easy to navigate. It you have a Swiss Pass you do not need to book any trains—-just show up. For some special train like the Glacier Express and Bernina Express, if you want reservations, we can tell you how to make them with your Swiss Pass. And people can explain when reservations for these trains are required, or not.

People here can help you a lot with understanding the routes, schedules, and general information about trains and Switzerland in general. I think you would feel much more confident being in control and understanding how things work (it is not complicated) than being at the mercy of a 3d party booking agent. If there are any “issues” (which are very infrequent with Swiss trains) you are much better off with local resources than trying to reach an agent who booked the tix for you—it could be in the middle of the night in US time when you need help, and a call will go unanswered.

It is not at all difficult and definitely not worth the “premium” to use a booking agent.

Posted by
20172 posts

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, then you pretty much can't screw it up. You just need to purchase the seat reservations for the Glacier Express and the Bernina Express, then show up and get on the trains. Any body here can help if you have questions.
Are getting 1st class or 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass?

From Zurich Airport to Bern, once you have your luggage, follow the signs to the the airport train station. There are direct trains to Bern at 8 and 45 past the hour. Just check the board, usually they are on Platform 3. Escalators down to the platforms are marked, 1&2 and 3&4. Just get on the train, find a seat, and in about 75 minutes, you will be in Bern. Show the conductor your passes when he/she comes by. They may want to see your passport as well, so have that handy.

Site for Glacier Express reservations. Booking opens 93 days ahead of departure date
https://shop.glacierexpress.ch/gex_en/specials/daytrips/glacier-express

Site for the Bernina Express reservations. You can reserve now if you like.
https://shop.rhb.ch/en/bernina-express

Posted by
3 posts

Sam, I was planning to purchase a first class pass to ensure availability on the trains we need and make sure we have room for luggage. We will likely have one (airport-size) checked bag, 2 carry-ons and a small backpack.

Posted by
20172 posts

There will be plenty of room on the trains. Luggage racks on the entry to the car, overhead racks for backpacks and carry on size bags. IC trains, like the direct trains to Bern are double deck, so you can sit upstairs or down. The entries are at platform level so easy to get on and off. Other Swiss trains may not be as convenient, it depends on the train.

There are 2 train lines from Bern to Zermatt. The fast way uses a long base tunnel, about 20 miles long under the Berner Oberland mountains. You get off at Visp and change to the train to Zermatt. You will have to go down to the under passage and up to the new platform. There are ramps to help you with rolling luggage. Swiss train changes are often quick. The schedules are coordinated, for the most part, to facilitate this. Just be ready to exit the train as you approach the station. have your luggage gathered and be ready to exit the train when it stops.

If you like scenic trains and you are not in a huge hurry, there is a more scenic way to Zermatt. Take the RE train from Bern that goes at 39 past the hour. This goes mostly over the mountains with a shorter tunnel. sit on the right hand side. Get off at Brig. The trains that depart Bern on the odd hours, the train to Zermatt is actually in the street in front of the station. This scenic rout route will take an extra hour to reach Zermatt, 3 1/4 hours vs 2 1/4 hours the fast way.

The reservation fee for the Glacier Express is 49 CHF per person and this is not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. buy your reservation when they become available. There is a train map on the website to pick your seats. If you don't like the seats automatically selected for you, just deselect them and pick new ones. On the next page where you enter your names, in the "reduction" box, select "GA Travelcard 1st class". That will remove the ticket price, leaving you with just the reservation fee.

Reservations for the Bernina Express are similar. Reservation fee is 28 CHF per person from St Motritz to Tirano.

Posted by
3 posts

These comments are so helpful and giving me the courage to tackle this on my own. Thank you so much for the detailed instructions!