Please sign in to post.

7 day Swiss Tour beginning in Geneva.

We will be beginning and ending our Journey from Geneva. (June 19 - until 26th ) Would anybody kindly advise us what is the best itinerary to cover the most places in the week using the swiss pass? I would like to use a ferry also enroute to another city if possible. A quick guide advising where to break journey and check into a hotel for the night. Any feedback would be highly appreciated...We are a mid age couple travelling for the first time to Switzerland.
Thanks
Peter

Posted by
8889 posts

I make that 7 days = 6 nights. Do you have to stay in Geneva on the first or last night? That depends on the mode of transport to/from Geneva and the arrival/departure times.
Note Geneva airport has a rail station, and all Swiss long distance trains to/from Geneva call at both the airport and the city centre, so both are easily accessable.

This is the official leaflet which you get with your pass, and shows a map of where it is valid: https://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/sbb/de/pdf/freizeit-ferien/ferien-kurztrips-schweiz/internationale-gaeste/uebersichtskarte_synoptic_map_2017_low.pdf

I would suggest something like:

• Geneva arrive, train to Zermatt - 2 nights
  • Train to Jungfrau area (Mürren, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Grindelwald) - 2 nights. Lots of trains and cable cars up mountains to take advantage of your pass. Higher routes you get a discount only (see map).
  • Train to Luzern via scenic Brünig pass route - 2 nights. Boat trips on lake (pass valid), and /or up local mountains (Rigi, Pilatus or Titlis).
  • Train back to Geneva. Possibly quick stop in Bern (~2 hours) if you have time.

Depending on your arrival / departure times, you may need to substitute one night in Geneva. You only have 6 nights, so not much more is possible. And you have to start and end in Geneva, so it would take too long to go further east, i.e. no Glacier or Bernina Express.
All trips up mountains are dependent on weather, but you have a pass so can be flexible.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you Chris with such a prompt response...Guys like you make the world go round....the way we are set up...We will arrive on the 19th of June at 8PM Hrs. We leave on the 26th at Noon. I would like to do a couple of scenic trains and maybe a ferry ride. Which swiss pass would you recommend ? Or is it better to buy single fares as we go? Thanks once again... Hope you find time to respond... Cheers

Posted by
2712 posts

I would suggest skipping Zermatt and spending four nights in the Jungfrau area. 1) the Jungfrau area is much nicer, 2) it saves a day of travel (and checking out of and into hotels) on a very short trip, and 3) it maximizes your chance for good weather in the Jungfrau area. I recommend Murren, but Wengen would also work.

Posted by
8889 posts

Peter, If you are arriving at 8pm on the 19th June, then you have no time to go elsewhere, you will have to spend your first night in Geneva.
Is this arriving by train at Geneva station, or landing at the airport? If at the airport, you need extra time to disembark etc.

In which case skip Zermatt, and go direct to Jungfrau area for 3 nights, then Luzern for 2 nights.

And, leaving at noon on the 26th you will need to leave Luzern early, no time for a stop in Bern. Again, is this train or fly, in the latter case add ~2 hours check-in time.

You asked for a scenic train and a ferry ride.
For the train, the route from the Jungfrau area, via Interlaken to Luzern goes via the Brünig pass and is scenic, as are all trains in the Jungfrau area.
There are lots of boats from Luzern to places all around the lake. You can then take a boat back, or in some cases a train. Details here: http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/