Please sign in to post.

6 days in Switzerland in mid april, 2017

Hi,

Me and my wife would be travelling to Switzerland in mid april for 6 nights. We would be arriving in Geneva on April 12th (around 2 pm). We propose to spend 2 days in and around Brienz/Interlaken, 2 days near the Jungfrau region and 2 days in Zurich before taking our flight on the April 18th.

We have a 5 day swiss travel pass valid form 12th to 16th April . Need guidance on some of the points.

1. On 12th we have a stay booked in Brienz. What is the best (scenic) route to take to reach from Geneva to Brienz.

2. We wanted check if we can visit Zermatt for a few hours, either from Geneva (while on our way to Brienz) or as a day trip from
    Brienz. Is it worth the extra travel

3.Can we look at Stechelberg for a 2 day stay from 14th to 16th April. We wish to visit Schilthorn peak, murren, wengen and grindelwald, lauterbrunnen in our 2 days in the region.

Other places where we can stay from 14th to 16th are Wengen, Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen. we would prefer a small town with good views for the stay which provides a good base to visit each of the places. Need help with chosing our stay location.

1. We would be leaving for zurich on 16th April. Can we combine a visit to Mt Pilatus on that day (considering the swiss pass is valid). if not, is there any other place which we can visit while on our way to zurich or near zurich. (on 17th we propose to visit the Rhine falls)

thank you.

Posted by
3 posts

I had booked the same in December 2016 through an offer being run by euro rail which gave 1 free day on booking 4 days of swiss travel pass.

Posted by
5835 posts

The SBB agents at the staffed counters are very good about tying to get you the best price. The will ask you how many train trips you are taking and will figure out if a travel pass would be your best deal. The Swiss seem to understand what customer service means.

Posted by
6 posts

Re: Stechelberg - you know you'll take the train to Lauterbrunnen then the bus to Stechelberg then the cable car lift to Murren and then on to the Shilthorn peak. Also within 20 minute walk from Stechelberg is Trummelbach Falls which makes for a lovely walk by the roaring river to the falls. Also, from Murren a lovely easy hike is through Gimmelwald follow signs to the Chilchbaum/Kilchbaum trail. Less than 2 hour walk takes you along a creek which turns into a roaring mountain stream to a valley where 20+ waterfalls make their way from a glacier to the meadow below. Breathtaking! Wengen and Grindelwald are the next valley/mountain over and will require a bus trip from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen then the train from to Wengen and Grindelwald. If you decide to do this, plan for a full day to enjoy the trip/scenery and I'd suggest the Mannlichen-Kleine Scheidegg Trail which is one of the most beautiful in all of Europe. Or the equally spectacular Eiger Trail. Re: where to stay - Lauterbrunnen is in the valley; Wengen is in the mountains but SUPER touristy (as in hoards of people) Grindewald is nice, but my favorite is Murren. Small, quite, quaint, a few restaurants, a grocery store...views to DIE FOR. It's car free...have to take a cable car to get to it, so it's out of the way but when you think of Switzerland, this is the place!

Posted by
696 posts

My 2 cents:: I would take a day from Brienz and add it to Jungfrau. You really only have 5 full days and I would take 3 of them in the mountains.
You would take a train to Brienz from Geneva ( if you have booked your flights already) . Stay ovenight in Brienz
April 13 -take train to Lauterbrunnen. Others will argue it is better to stay in the mountains, but I find lauterbrunnen charming and the easiest place to stay if you want to go to Shilthorn and Jungfrau as you have said. April 13 , April 14, April 15 in Lauterbrunnen
April 16 - Train to Zurich. April 16 and 17 -Zurich. April 18 Flight out.
My other suggestion- take one day from Zurich and spend a night in Lucerne. Charming city - you can day trip to Mt Pilatus. Lucerne is an easy train ride to the Zurich airport , so unless you really want to see Zurich , I would even consider just staying in Lucerne and depending on your flight time going from there to airport.

Posted by
3 posts

thank you for the quick replies.
Will most probably stay at Lauterbrunnen, since it is allows easy access to the region. Murren stays seem to be beyond my budget this late in the planning, however can look at wengen as an alternative since i have already booked a place there too. Will it be that touristy even in April.

Will detail out the iternary and see if can fit Lurcerne in it. will def consider it. thank you

regards,
Ankit