Please sign in to post.

6 days in Switzerland

I’m going in early May for 6 days and have booked 2 days each in Lucerne, Wengen and Zermatt. I’m coming from Munich, then when we leave we are crossing in to Italy (Strese) by train and renting a car for our Italy portion. In reading other posts I’m now wondering about Zermatt, it seems almost something that should only be booked weather dependent, which of course can only be decided a few days out. Advice about train passes, and given the short stay in each, which attractions are must sees! Thanks!

Posted by
123 posts

I just checked and the STP is $774 USD for 6 days. I’m assuming booking things separately might be cheaper but am I wrong?

Posted by
485 posts

Hi Lindsay,

For train travel check out the half fare card.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/tickets-offers/tickets/guests-abroad/swiss-halffare-card.html

Use SBB.ch website or the app to find out the cost of the individual journeys that you want to take. This will help you see if a pass is worth it for you.

It is also possible to purchase a Saver Day Pass, valid throughout Switzerland for the entire duration of train schedules for that day. This is often the cheapest thing to do for longer journeys, but there are a limited number of the cheapest ones and they can sell out quickly. It is always worth checking because sometimes a certain day does not sell out and you can still get a good price - or it might still be worth it, even at a slightly higher price (lowest is 29 CHF).

https://www.sbb.ch/en/tickets-offers/tickets/day-passes/saver-day-pass.html

As far as seeing the Matterhorn goes. This is actually true of all mountains - sometimes you see them and sometimes you don’t. I can see the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau from where I life in Thun…but there are many days in which I cannot. The same goes for all of the other local mountains. The Matterhorn is one of the most photographed mountains in the world, so presumably there are enough times when people can see it for this to be so.

I really like Zermatt, and think that it is worth a visit, but you will have to decide if it is worth the journey, even if the moutain(s) are covered.

You can check the webcams daily between now and when you need to book your hotel and see how often the weather is clear, just for an idea. It will not guarantee what the weather will be like on the two days you will be there…but then again what can do that no matter where you go?

Posted by
808 posts

I would suggest that you research the mountain excursions for your time in Wengen, and then see if it makes sense to have the Berner Oberland Pass along with the half fare card.