Please sign in to post.

5 days in Switzerland June 2015..would love suggestions!

Hi, We will be in Switzerland (first time for both of us!) for 5 days in June 2015. We will be arriving from Oberammergu/Fussen, hopefully by train. We'd love some suggestions for a couple of places to visit. We are considering Lucerne, Murren, and/or Zermatt. We are 50 and 60, and don't do intense hiking, but can handle easy climbs. We love scenery (would like to do at least one summit), small towns, countrysides, charming inns, etc. We have considered the Glacier Express, but wondered if we could see more in the time that it takes. We will finish out the trip on Rhine River cruise out of Basel. I would really appreicate your suggestions.

Posted by
656 posts

I always recommend Lucerne. I spent 5 days there in September. I think it is the prettiest city in Switzerland. I have not been to Murren but I hear it is gorgeous. I would only recommend 2 places for 5 days maybe splitting your time between Lucerne and Murren. Beware though..Switzerland is extremely expensive!! I only ate at a pizza place one and that was for 4 slices of pizza and 2 sodas...around $35 American. Bought groceries from the supermarket the rest of the time and did picnics. You will love it. One of the most beautiful places on earth!!

Posted by
2399 posts

Instead on going on an uphill hike, there are lots of places where you can take a cable car up and walk down!

Posted by
2903 posts

Hi,

I'd skip the Glacier Express, as most train rides are pretty scenic without spending an entire day (figure 8 or 9 hours) sitting on a train. Our GE trip from St. Moritz to Zermatt was about 9 hours, we couldn't wait to get off. My recommendation would be at least few nights in Wengen in the Berner Oberland. We spent 4 nights here in Oct. quite a while ago and never wanted to leave. The alpine scenery in the Berner Oberland is second to none. While we also stayed in St. Moritz, Lucerne and Zermatt, Wengen and the BO was the absolute highlight of our trip.

Paul

Posted by
1914 posts

Yes, the Berner Oberland is a must!! We have driven through Switzerland twice once from Italy and once from Germany, but we have just stayed in Gimmelwald. You do need time there since the weather can be changeable, even in June. But, it is one of the most amazing places on earth! You can take easy walks, downhill or flat and still see the fabulous views. You can take funicular trains or gondolas all around to see both sides of the valley. We stayed for 5 nights once and 3 the other, but it was never too much, the sights are unbelievable!

Posted by
744 posts

I recommend the Berner Oberland, too! We took the Golden Pass train from Montreux to Interlaken and then some delightful trains and cable cars up to Murren. One of my most memorable travel experiences.