Please sign in to post.

5-6 days in Switzerland

We are a couple in our mid 50s. We are planning to visit Switzerland for 5-6 days in early July. We have ordered Rick's book but meanwhile we'd like to hear from people that have visited. What would your 5-6 day itinerary look like?.

We live in the US Pacific Northwest. And while we love enjoying scenery from hilltops, while in Europe we don't want to spend 2 hours hiking to get there. We'll gladly take the fastest route.

We will be arriving from Munich, so I assume Zurich would be the first stop arriving by train?

Thank you!!

Posted by
4719 posts

I'd recommend as much time in the Berner Oberland as possible, staying in Murren or Wengen. If you're going to Switzerland, sleep in the Alps. 5-6 days isn't much time, so perhaps the BO and Lucerne. Please also review everything that has been posted here on the Forum under the Switzerland section in the past several months- you'll find a wealth of info, and many of your questions have already been answered.
Safe travels!

Posted by
4393 posts

Ditto Pat!
I spent four nights in Murren and two in Lucerne, but definitely would have been happy with all in Murren (not that I did not equally enjoy Lucerne, but your time allotment will depend on outward travel logistics and personal interests).
What is really amazing is how accessible the mountaintops are--and in Murren, it feels like you can reach out and touch them!

Posted by
20110 posts

Where are you going after you depart Switzerland? Going home?

Posted by
11329 posts

Buceri,
The gondolas, trains, and funiculars will take you to places you cannot imagine, where you will find restaurants and restrooms as well as easy hikes. You can often take one means of transportation up, hike an hour or two, then catch another mode for the descent.

I agree that most of your time should be in the Berner Oberland, specifically in Mürren, Wengen, or Lauterbrunnen. This is the Switzerland of your imagination. Luzern is nice but does not really compare, IMO, if you love the outdoors.

Greeting from Oregon, BTW!

Posted by
4393 posts

If you are flying home from Zurich around noon or later, it is easy to come from Lucerne that morning on the train, which may necessitate at least one night in Lucerne--not a bad way to end a trip!
If Geneva is your departure, I'd stay in Montreux or further west on the lake.

Posted by
20110 posts

Here is my proposal:

Go from Munich to Lauterbrunnen with only 2 train changes in 6 1/2 hours. EC train Munich to Zurich, then change to a train to Interlaken Ost, then change to a train to Lauterbrunnen. You could stay in Lauterbrunnen, or continue either to Wengen by train on the east side of the valley, or by bus & cable car, or gondola & train to Muerren on the west side of the valley. My preference would be Muerren, a pretty magical car-free village on the side of the mountain with spectacular views. Stay 4 nights.

Then back to Lauterbrunnen, Interlaken Ost to Luzern for 2 nights. The train from Interlaken Ost to Luzern is particularly scenic. After 2 nights in Luzern, take a morning train directly to Zurich airport in 1 1/4 hours for your flight home.