Please sign in to post.

4 nights in Switzerland

We (4 Seniors) are looking at doing a high-light, quick trip into Switzerland in 4 nights. We would be driving from Germany and arriving in Lauterbrunnen 4ish for night 1. We would see what's there in the AM and then to the Castles near Montreux and Gruyeres, before visiting Bern and Lucerne. Presently my thought would be to spend night 2 near Gruyeres and the last 2 nights in Lucerne. Do we have enough time to do all this or do we need at least another night? Is there something we should be seeing that we would be missing? Thanks for your input.

Posted by
19637 posts

Be sure to buy a Swiss vignette as you enter Switzerland and properly attach it to your car's windshield. Cost is 40 CHF. Seems like you will be spending a lot of time in the car. What part of Germany? If from Basel, go direct to Gruyeres, and spend 2 days there, then to Luzern. I see little point of going to Lauterbrunnen if your schedule only allows you an hour or 2. I'd prefer to spend 2 days there at least. The weather situation may trump all your plans.

Posted by
768 posts

Sam is right.

You'd only spend a morning there? Hah! There's enough for 2 weeks. Click on my name and the link there will bring you to our dozen favorite trails in the area, with pictures. Take a look at the scenery and then decide.

Posted by
16893 posts

Expect about 1.5 hours one way to get to the top of the Schilthorn, but maybe longer since it's very popular and there are lines to board the gondolas. Or, you can reserve a boarding time from Stechelberg at https://schilthorn.ch/en/Guaranteed_Departure_Time. At the least, consider staying an second night here instead of one of the other destinations. You can make this your mountain focus, and then perhaps skip mountains near Lucerne.

Posted by
7209 posts

You’ve got too many destinations for too few days. Lauterbrunnen and Lucerne deserve your time. The other two places are not nearly as interesting.