Please sign in to post.

4 days in Switzerland

We’re planning on visiting Switzerland in the 3rd week of July and we land/depart from Zurich. We’ve already seen Zurich, Interlaken, Lucerne etc a few years back. This time we’re traveling with our 2 teenaged kids and would love to do a road trip for 4 days and explore some other places. Will appreciate any input from you on places to go to. Also, what are your thoughts on driving vs public transport? Thanks so much!

Posted by
4765 posts

Public transport, public transport, public transport!

Have you considered the current costs of rental cars, parking ( many mountain areas are pedestrian only), gas, and tolls?
The Swiss train system is a joy to use, and is one of the most efficient systems I've ever experienced .

Safe travels!

Posted by
1674 posts

Trains, Trains, Trains. Gas is about 8.00 a gallon USD in Switzerland. Car rental prices are through the roof plus insurance. The answer is always the Alps. Wengen, Murren or Lauterbrunnen. 4 days isn't very long, don't spend it traveling from place to place.

We’ve already seen Zurich, Interlaken, Lucerne etc a few years back.

Not sure what you mean by etc. Bern is an option if you want a city.

Posted by
768 posts

I'd suggest that you take the kids to the Berner Oberland (Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, Murren, etc.). My teens loved it, and we were there for 10 days. Take a look at https://lauterbrunnenhiking.wordpress.com/

Also, kids under 16 can take trains and cable cars for free with a Swiss Family Card, purchased cheaply at any major train station.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks so much for your responses! Public transport it is then :)

We're not looking at a city experience but wanted to explore other places which are not typical touristy.

Thanks Shoe for the link! That looks like a lovely option to do for 2-3 days.