Please sign in to post.

3 Full days in Zurich in July 2020. Visiting Lucerne, Mt.Titlis and Geneva/ other.

Hello
We're a family of four, my wife, me and two daughters of 11 and 21. We will arrive at Zurich early in the morning and leave on the day 4th at noon. So, we have 3 full days in Zurich. Need help to plan a trip to Lucerne and Mt. Titlis and another day to Geneva or any other scenic destination ( if possible ). Is there any suggestions with buying the tkts Swiss travel pass/ Zurich city card for 3 days ? Is it worth buying the Swiss travel pass although we will get complimentary family pass with free rides for my little 11 y old daughter ?
Please help us for planning this trip.
Thanks.

Posted by
888 posts

We too have 3 days planned but not too Sept. I've found the RS Switzerland travel guide useful as there are sections for both Zurich and Lucerne in it.

The question of travel passes is always what rides on the train (tram or bus) do you plan, what do they cost individually without a pass then which is cheaper. Get the SBB app for your phone and see what the different train rides cost. Remember the initial price show will be the half price.

Example, last day of our trip we will likely buy the Zurich city pass for 24 hours. Using it we can get free admission to the National Museum ( and others), free or cheaper boat rides, the funicular up to the polytechnic school for the view, then the next morning the train/tram to the airport. In this case I think we can get our money's worth. For the rest of our three days, we're only taking one other round trip train ride so it's cheaper just to buy full price tickets.

Posted by
6895 posts

I guess you have a reason for staying in Zürich. If you don't have any constraints I would rather stay in Luzern for the duration.

From Zürich:
- Geneva is too far and...not scenic
- Luzern is a great day trip, but can't be combined with Titlis in the same day. Consider Pilatus instead...
- ...and even so, I would do separate day trips to Luzern, and to Mount Rigi (a scenic mountain above Zug)
- Stein am Rhein has good reviews, but I haven't been

Posted by
8440 posts

agreeing with Balso. If you dont have to stay in Zurich, stay in Luzern instead. Its only an hour by train but its much more interesting and in a beautiful mountain lake setting. With your day trip plan, you're not actually spending any time in Zurich anyway.

Posted by
7209 posts

Absolutely drop Geneva from your schedule. It’s not the stunning Switzerland you’re expecting there.

Stay in Lucerne and visit Pilatus and/or Titlus from there. You’ll get a free transport card from your hotel in Lucerne for traveling in that area. Your 11 year old will travel free with you everywhere in Switzerland if you get the free Swiss Family Card for her.