Please sign in to post.

3 Days in Switzerland

Hello,
We are taking a Viking cruise in May and ending up in Basel on May 15th and then fly out of Zurich on the morning of May 19th.

We would like to consolidate our luggage and have some sent on the Zurich and then spend 3 days seeing as many sites as possible. Looking to see the best mountains scenes of course and then some of the unique villages.

Would sure appreciate some suggestions from you seasoned travelers. It would seem that taking,the train would be our best option. Also, would be nice to find a central location to stay at and then do day trips on the train if that's possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Tom

Posted by
8889 posts

1) Luzern
One hour by train from Basel. and one hour to Zürich airport by train. So long as your flight out isn't too early, you can get there in the morning. Go up one of the surrounding mountains (Rigi, Pilatus, Titlis), take a boat trip on the lake, and take a train to Interlaken and back via the Brünig Pass railway.

2) One of the villages past Interlaken (Grindelwald, Mürren, Wengen, ...)
Further from both Basel and Zürich (2+ hours), but really deep into the Alps.

If you have time, spend your arrival day in Basel and go on to Luzern in the evening. It is a nice city (but I am biassed, I live here :-) )

"It would seem that taking,the train would be our best option", it is the easiest and most comfortable option. Cars do not work in cities, or in the Alps.

Posted by
2708 posts

Lucerne would be a good and easy choice. But I think the best option is to take the train to Murren and spend the whole time there. You will be really IN THE ALPS, and there are lots of hiking options and activities. Trust me, you won't want to leave.

Posted by
20004 posts

Might be just a tad early for Muerren, but who knows?

Posted by
656 posts

I agree with Chris. Base in Luzern. It is a beautiful city with a delightful Old Town, beautiful bridges, the wonderful Lion Monument, etc. Take the paddle steamer to Vitznau (about an hour cruise on Lake Luzern), take the cogwheel train to the top of Rigi, hike a little ways. Take the cable car to Weggis and cruise back to Luzern. It is worth a half day at least. Stroll the bridges, visit the Lion Monument, maybe do some shopping. If possible visit the Alps if the weather is good. Be advised, food in Switzerland is very expensive, so budget accordingly for restaurants.