Please sign in to post.

25th Anniversary

My husband and I are celebrating 25 years together at the end of September. We fly in and out of Zurich. We have 17 nights. We are thinking about going over to Paris but not sure.

I was in Switzerland in 2018 with my daughter and loved it. We stayed in Wengen which was perfectly quaint with amazing views. I’ve heard people talk about Murren and Grindewald but I don’t know anything about those places. What I’m wondering is what places would you pick to stay for a romantic trip. How long would you stay? Do you have any hotel suggestions for places under $400 a night? Any special activities. This is our first trip alone without our 4 kids. We didn’t even have a honeymoon. I really want to make this trip magical. Any and all ideas are much appreciated.

Posted by
11156 posts

We found Grindelwald so magical, rented part of a chalet through a local real estate company but I can’t find the name, sorry. The mountains are so near you feel like you can touch them especially the Eiger. It is large enough to offer many choices in restaurants and hotels vs Murren and Wengen. Excellent train connections.

Posted by
4828 posts

...what places would you pick to stay for a romantic trip...

Without a doubt, Murren. Spectacular vistas, great resturants, and lots to do. Unless the weather prohibits it in September, walk the North Face Trail. Notice I said walk, as it is more like that than a real hike.

Posted by
1371 posts

A couple of nights along the lakefront promenade in Montreux would be romantic and relaxing. We also liked Luzern even though we only did a day trip. Murren, like Wengen, is up in the mountains but on the other side of the Lauterbrunnen Valley. Grindelwald is in the adjacent valley on the Wengen side. Great hikes throughout the area. Kleine Scheidigg is also in the mountains above Grindelwald - it's small but right below the big three peaks. Happy Anniversary!

Posted by
72 posts

Another vote for Murren....Hotel Bellevue has rooms with sunny balconies facing the mountains.
Sitting on their patio sipping a glass of Swiss wine is quite romantic.
The restaurant is also fantastic. And, bonus, the only laundry mat in town is down stairs.

It is our favorite hotel.
Jay

Posted by
174 posts

Consider staying at the Hotel Alpina in Murren. Get a room with the cliff edge balcony overlooking the Alps and the Lauterbrunnen valley, and relax with a bottle of wine while you enjoy the the spectacular view!