Please sign in to post.

2024 November travel to Switzerland, Germany, and Austria

My husband and I plan to spend 13 days (15 but tasking 2 for travel) in this area in November. I am sad that it seems we won't be able to visit the Lauterbrunnen area very easily. Does anyone have any recent experience in this area in November? Any tips if we want to see the mountains? We want to go to Rhine Falls. We are open to exploring the black forrest area if that would be a feasible option.

We plan to do the eurail pass. I think southern Germany has more things open during this time. we do plan to take the Bernini express from Chur to Tirano and back to see at least some Alps.

We plan to stay in Salzburg and spend a full day there, maybe more. We want to do the sound of music tour. We would also like to go to Fussen and see Neuschwanstien castle.

If we can't go to the alps, what are some other suggestions? I have read blogs from years past that have said some things have stayed open longer due to unseasonably warm weather. Any idea if this may be the trend for 2024?

Posted by
2515 posts

Why do you think you can’t go to the Lauterbrunnen area in November? Some places will be closed for the off season, but others will be open. You can certainly go.

Posted by
11699 posts

I read that the trains close down.

Do you remember the source, because it is incorrect. People live and work there. Trains run year-round and even most of the cable cars are year-round except to close for scheduled maintenance. Weather is, of course, less lovely than summer and earlier in the autumn. Of note, the Eurail pass is not valid on the train from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen. And of course the Eurail pass does not cover, to my knowledge, cableways, boats, and buses.