Please sign in to post.

2 week stay in Switzerland (July 2018) want 2 places as a home base. Suggestions?

Hello,

My family of 3 (2 parents and teen) will be traveling next July 2018. We would like to have 2 or 3 places as a home base. Possibly Murren/Wengen and ???. So many choices to pick from. Wonder how to see the majority of the country while not having to change our nighttime sleeping arrangements. Any suggestions would be great!

Posted by
11153 posts

We used Grindelwald and Pontresina which worked well for us.

Posted by
271 posts

A couple of questions:

1. Car or train/public transport?
  2. Per night budget for accommodation?
  3. Budget for eating? (i.e. maybe per-meal/pp or per-day/pp or family/meal or family/day)
  4. Activities that you are interested in. Everyone goes to Muerren (gonna hear it for that) but I never see Americans on the mountains. Check out the SAC-CAS huts.

Bon voyage!

Posted by
27104 posts

Although Switzerland is rather small, the geography is challenging. I don't think you can cover the country particularly well with only two bases. I'd consider three if I had two weeks.

If only two bases, I think you need to decide whether your priority is mountains or you prefer some variety. If the latter, I would probably make my second location somewhere around Lake Geneva or in the Ticino.

Posted by
8438 posts

Mürren is a lovely destination in itself, but because it is halfway up the side of a mountain, it does not make a good base for seeing much of Switzerland outside of the Lauterbrunnen Valley. Takes too much time to get in and out of there.

Posted by
271 posts

Yeah, and Muerren is like Zermatt as far as taking a long time to get into and then out of.

HubS will depend on transportation and preferred locales/activities.