Please sign in to post.

1st time to Switzerland for 6 to 7 days in 16 October 2017

Dear All,
I am planning a trip to Switzerland,in Mid October (16 October) this year with my husband and 12 years old girl. This is our first trip to Europe and below is my draft intinerary.

Draft intinerary:
Day 1: Arrive Zurich around 9am and take train from Zurich to Lucerne
Day 2: Lucerne - Mount Titlis
Day 3: Lucerne to interlaken or grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen
Day 4: Jungfrau
Day 5: Interlaken to Zermatt-Matterhorn Glacier Paradise
Day 6: Zermatt to Paris (should i go straight to Paris or should I stop over some place like Geneva then to Paris the next day)

Understand that Zermatt is a long journey from Interlaken and may not worth my time to travel there. So maybe I will extend my stay in Interlaken or grindleward or Lauterbrunnen . Then from there to Paris.

I read some blogs, it mentions that in October, some cable cars will stop operation. Is it true?

Please advise what is open and what is close in Switzerland in October 2017?

Any recommendation of the type of Swiss Pass I should buy ?

Also, will it snow in the mountain?

Thank you.

Posted by
76 posts

You are going for 3 snow mountains- titlis, Jungfrau, Matterhorn. Is it really required? May be u skip super expensive jungfrau and do some easy hikes like mannlichen to kleine scheideg or north face trail in murren. They are not only cheap but also very rewarding. But i m not sure about the weather condition in october. I would suggest to skip zermat and spend time in lauterbrunnen / murren / gimmelwald. Last time when we were in zurich we went to rhein falls which needed total 4 hours from zurich airport which was very beautiful.

Posted by
11304 posts

We were in the Berner Oberland in mid-October last year for 9 nights and had a great time. Nothing closed, some overcast weather, a little rain.

The biggest challenge with your fast-paced itinerary is that if you have bad weather on the ONE DAY you have in the area (Day 2, Day 4) you will not get to experience Mount Titlis or the Jungfraujoch. Mountain weather is fickle! Ideally you should spend at LEAST three nights in a location so if you have bad weather one day, perhaps the next will be clear enough to have a fabulous experience.

You have 5 nights. Can you make it 6 and spend 3 each in Luzern and Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen (not Interlaken)?

Posted by
7 posts

Hi Praveenroam,
Thanks for your advice!! I will go find out more about rhein falls! 😊

Hi Laurel,
Thanks for your reply!I am looking for some one who went there around mid October!!

Do you also suggest I should not go Zermatt-Matterhorn Glacier Paradise?
May I know did you buy any Swiss travel pass? Which type did you buy?
Is it snowing in the mountain? I wish I can play snow ❄️ 😊

Thanks!

Posted by
11304 posts

My recommendation is that you skip Zermatt or skip Luzern. You just do not have time for three locations. Depending on what you decide for a final itinerary, the Half Fare Card )HFC= will most likely pay off for you. Figuring out which pass is best financially is an exercise in deciding exactly what trains and lifts you will take and doing the math. The HFC is a safe bet if your total fares add up to at least 250.00 CHF.