Please sign in to post.

Montreux train station

So you won't be surprised as I was, apparently there's a lovely old train station in Montreux but it is mostly shuttered. The Golden Pass folks have a little restaurant/gift shop/ticket shop but then as you descend the escalators towards what is usually a mall for shopping and dining you will suddenly find yourself on the street. There are some public loos on that level but the mens room is illuminated by an eerie blue light, which according to Rick is a way of trying to discourage junkies from shooting up (the light makes it difficult to find a vein).

Also be aware that Montreux is built on a hill that slopes towards the lake. You might need to get down to the street that runs along the water, as we did, and directly across from the train station there is a public escalator. Aha you think, how convenient. Guess what - it only runs uphill! There is a long, long staircase next to it. I'm sure many, many tourists have thought it was the only way to get down to the lake, but I was convinced that if there was an UP escalator, there must be nearby a DOWN escalator as well. After much investigation it turns out that there is NOT. However, if you do some searching you will find some public elevators that will stresslessly take you and your luggage down to lake level. Look for the little signs up where street names are posted; don't fight the stairs.

Posted by
16893 posts

It sounds like you were very thorough in your search.

For book users, Rick mentions one elevator in his arrival info:
Arrival in Montreux: The train station (with storage lockers by track 1) is one steep block uphill from the main waterfront road. Exit the station via the escalator down to Avenue des Alpes. Then walk left 200 yards and cross the street by the post office to the stairs (escalier) and elevator (ascenseur, free) down to Grand-Rue, where you’ll find the TI, boat dock, and my two recommended hotels.

Posted by
32173 posts

phred,

I've seen the black light in other places in Europe, so that's not unique to the Montreux station. As I recall, the Lausanne station also has that in the WC, as does the Roadhouse Grill in Termini station.

Posted by
4324 posts

Rick mentioned and showed the lights in one of his shows, I think it was Scandinavia.

Oh and further to transport in Montreux, your hotel should give you a free bus pass that is good for your whole stay. You'll need this to get to and from Chillon castle, which works quite easily. Again the buses seem to work on the honor system, no one ever asked for our pass, but make sure you're carrying it anyway.

Posted by
4137 posts

@ Phred , if you are looking for it , it was in a show that included Zurich ( along with Bern , and Basel , I think ) I.m sure Laura would know which program .