Please sign in to post.

Swiss Pass Question

To me it sounds like I don't need a Swiss Pass but if someone who has been to Switzerland can verify that for me it would be great.

I'm going to plan 3 days in Luzern. Arrive on a Monday night and depart Thursday morning. I'm going to be coming from Rome and know Trenitalia well. I see there is a direct train once a day from Milan to Luzern which I can buy on Trenitlia. I can book enough in advance to get a discount on the high speed from Rome to Milan. This combination I can buy directly on Trenitalia.

After Luzern we will go onto Munich. I can book a train on Db Bahn from Luzern - Zurich - Munich.

For a trip like this I wouldn't need a Swiss Pass, correct? Just book from Trenitalia and Bahn and not use the Swiss Railroad website?

While in Luzern we will probably use the lake ferry and a lift which i've read are discounted or included in a Swiss Pass. Which for a short 3 day stay from my reading sounds like the Pass is a waste.

Now that direct train from Milan to Luzern arrives late in the day 19:00. There are earlier trains from Rome with 2 connections to Luzern via Milan and then Arth-Goldau. But those I would need to book on the Swiss Train website. If I choose one of these early trains with connections does the Pass make sense or still don't get it?

Thanks

Posted by
20085 posts

Even if you choose the connection via Arth-Goldau, a high priced Swiss Pass makes no sense for a short visit to Switzerland to essentially one location (Luzern). Considering the full fare from Arth-Goldau is only 12.60 chf, you could just buy the Trenitalia ticket to A-G, and buy the continuation from there. There are 3 trains every hourand it's only 30 minutes.

Posted by
8889 posts

If you are staying in Luzern and just taking local boat or train trips, then a Swiss pass is overpaying.

Do not restrict yourself to direct trains. Do not be scared of changing trains. There is a connection from Milan to Luzern roughly every 2 hours. The change is as you say at Arth-Goldau, and the two trains stop side-by-side on opposite sides of the same platform - easy.
It doesn't matter that you change trains, you should still be able to book one ticket all the way to Luzern on either trenitalia or Swiss railways websites.

From Luzern, via Zürich to Munich, you can book on either the Swiss railways (sbb.ch) of German Railways (bahn.de) website.

Note, there is no advance booking on Swiss trains, and no discount for advance purchase of tickets. There is also no seat reservation system. A ticket is valid on any train.

Posted by
32746 posts

But you do need a mandatory seat reservation on the train from Milano Centrale to Zurich, alighting at Arth-Goldau. While it is true that for domestic Swiss traffic a reservation is not done, you would likely stay in your same seat even after you crossed into Switzerland.

Posted by
2 posts

We are flying to zurich, leaving next day to Munich Germany for 3 days returning to luzern staying 5 days with possible day trips to zermott and montreux......then traveling to airport from Lucerne......do we need a swiss pass? The train options are a little confusing