Please sign in to post.

Switzerland in october

Hi m planning to visit Switzerland frm October 7 th - 22 nd.our tikets were booked for sept but v had to postpone our trip due to some unavoidable reasons.is it very cold during DAT time.I need to pack clothes accordingly.do I get to see autumn colours?? .m very fascinated seeing the pictures.my hubby can't bear much cold.wat bout rains.if its too chill I wud cancel my trip.will d mountain cable cars operate or closed.pls help.I ve lil time left

Posted by
977 posts

Well weather wise it is very variable right now, today it was about 24C, but a few days back it was as low as 14C... so I'd say it is best to bring a range of clothes for both types of weather! A warm jumper and a raincoat should do you in most cases.

Late Sept and early Oct is traditionally the time when Swiss people go walking in the mountains so you can expect most things to still be operating as normal. It is actually my favourite time to travel as it is not so busy as in the summer and the days are still long enough and warm enough to enjoy some great times.

It is also the hunting season and so you can expect to see some specialities in most restaurants - watch out for the 'Wild Menu' for dishes like this

So in short, no I would not cancel the trip. Just bring a warm jumper or two and you should be just fine. In fact you will find that most hotels will actually be too warm!

Enjoy the trip,

Jim.

Posted by
29 posts

Thanx Jim for d reply.do v get to see greenery n autumn colours both?...my Hubby's a lil reluctant to visit coz of d weather...very difficult to convince him DAT its not too cold.is it also a beautiful time of d year to visit Swiss,Austria n Prague also.....planning to go to these two places also.NY help iswelcome.

Posted by
4412 posts

Because this is the transition time of year, plan for the worst. As in, rain and cold. Assume you'll be cold the whole time and then if you're not, you can ease off some of the clothing. But if you don't bring what you might need, and you need it, you'll be either freezing or scrambling to buy necessary clothes.

You can get down jackets and parkas that weigh nothing and fold down into little packets the size of a -paperback. That's the way I'm going.

Posted by
32752 posts

nitakamat

it is really hard to understand your posts because of what seem like abbreviations. I've skipped over bits I don't understand.

I wonder if you are traveling from a particularly hot or dry area? Maybe that would account for your hubby's fear of cold or rain?

Perhaps if you shared your starting point it would help us make comparisons that may help.

Posted by
29 posts

We are from south India where the climate is hot through out.so a bit scared regarding the climate in Switzerland.please tell me if it is a beautiful time to visit.what about the weather in Salzburg and Prague.does it rain so much in October or its manageable.do get back

Posted by
32752 posts

That makes some sense. Of course it will be different than at home, but that's why you explore and travel - right?

The season is coming quickly in central Europe where various weather fronts will pass back and forth. If you are somewhere when there is high pressure in charge the evenings may be cool but the days may be sunny and bright. If low pressure is in charge the evenings will be less clear but warmer. As fronts move through you will get showers or rain, but usually it is sporadic and not especially heavy. If the rain is heavy for a short while have in mind things to do indoors.

All the places you have told us you are going are relatively close to each other and will have similar weather overall.

If you have other reasons to not travel consider those but weather is not extreme most of the time and is an unusual reason to cancel a trip in mid October in central Europe.

Pack layers and put them on and off as needed. Big heavy parkas are not needed.

If you are going up the mountains to Jungfraujoch it is definitely cold up there as it would be at the top of mountains in the north of your country. Don't go up the Jungfraujoch in sandals and thin cotton tops. Take gloves and a wooly hat and a jacket with layers.

Enjoy the difference. If your husband gets wet in the rain he will soon dry.