Please sign in to post.

Swiss train pass

Can I purchase a Swiss saver flexi pass after I have boarded a train or do I have to purchase the pass before boarding?

Thanks.

Posted by
104 posts

There are only 2 passes you can buy in Switzerland, Swiss Card and Berner Oberland Pass. Both of these passes must be purchased prior to boarding the train in any Swiss train station. Any other rail pass for Switzerland must be purchased before you leave the USA. You can find helpful rail links from our rail page (click on Travel Tips, Transportation, then Trains and Rail Passes). I would recommend you take a look at Rick's Rail Guide (found on the bottom of our website); a downloadable PDF that will assist you in choosing the right rail pass and which gives tons of advice about how the passes work. DON'T GET ON A TRAIN WITHOUT TICKETS OR YOUR RAIL PASS ACTIVATED AND PROPERLY FILLED IN!!! If you do you can be charged the full cost of the train fare plus penalties for trying to "steal" a train ride. I hope this helps you get started on your train travel planning. Bonne Chance!

Posted by
8889 posts

Whether you are travelling using a pass, or a normal ticket, you always have to buy your ticket BEFORE you get on the train in Switzerland.
For InterCity Trains you used to be able to buy tickets on the train (but not passes). This is no longer the case. If you are caught on a train without a valid ticket, it is financially very painful.

Posted by
32713 posts

You must always have your valid ticket before boarding a train. Not just Switzerland but elsewhere, and you can't buy a pass on the train. It needs to be validated prior to travel.