Please sign in to post.

2 questions

First, which would be better to serve as a "base" to explore the Jungfrau area: Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen? We have 4 days in Switzerland & are considering Mannlichen, Mt. Schilthorn, Murren, Panoramaweg etc. as possible activities.
Second, we thought we'd settled for a Swiss Card for our short stay (as recommended in posts on an earlier topic) but then saw the Berner-Oberland regional pass. Now confusion reigns once again. I could not tell if the regional pass would get us from Zurich to our hotel. We're staying near Brienz, actually. Should we stay with Swiss Card, or do the SC and regional pass?

Posted by
16893 posts

The Berner Oberland Pass covers the entire Bern–Interlaken–Luzern area — but costs almost as much as a full Swiss Pass. It does not cover trains between Zurich and Luzern ($25 each way). See the coverage map at http://www.regiopass-berneroberland.ch/range-of-validity/. It offers 4 continuous days for 230 SF (about $250), 6 days for 290 SF (about $320), or 8 days for 330 SF (about $365). The highest mountain lifts are either 50 percent off during the validity of the pass or have special prices (e.g., Kleine Scheidegg to the Jungfraujoch, or Mürren to the Schilthorn are 50 percent off).

Are you based near Brienz, or still considering a move to another home base? Lauterbrunnen is more central for heading up the mountains on either side.

Posted by
32201 posts

Regarding the "home base" question, as Laura mentioned Lauterbrunnen is a more central location for exploring both sides of the valley, so that's the place I'd recommend. Staying in Grindelwald won't be as central for getting to Gimmelwald, Mürren or spots on the other side of the valley.

Posted by
57 posts

I agree with the previous posters. Since you mentioned activities that take place on both sides of the valley, Lauterbrunnen would be a convenient base, cutting down travel times considerably. While I adore Mürren and have stayed there on several different trips, staying in Lauterbrunnen is lovely too. You will have great views of the waterfalls, the Lütschine river, and of the valley itself. Grindelwald is much busier than Lauterbrunnen and is farther away from many of the activities that you list.

Posted by
32733 posts

I'm confused when you say that you want a base in the Lauterbrunnen valley yet say you are based near Brienz.

It is possible, but slow, to go all the way to Interlaken by boat or car or train, and then either drive up to the big covered car park in Lauterbrunnen or take the train to Lauterbrunnen.

It isn't clear if you intend to relocate or journey from Brienz.