Please sign in to post.

Swiss Half-Fare Card

My husband and I will be traveling through several European countries this September. We are planning to travel by rail in Switzerland following a river cruise and plan to buy the Swiss Half-Fare card at our first opportunity when we arrive in Basel. One of our train segments will be traveling from Venice to Zurich at the end of our trip for our return to the US. Can anyone tell me if the Swiss Half-Fare card discount would apply to the purchase of this ticket since a large portion of the train segment is in Switzerland? Would we need to purchase separate train tickets for the Italy segments of travel and the Swiss segments to use the Half-Fare Card (e.g. Venice to Lugano via Milan; Lugano to Zurich)? We would like to take the EuroCity train that originates in Milan (e.g. EC 316) that goes on to Zurich airport with train change in Zurich HB. Do we need seat reservations on any segments of this route? Thanks.

Posted by
20085 posts

The EC 316 requires a seat reservation. The discount varies if you are 60 and over or under 60. The full fare for 2 tickets is 190 chf total (95 each). With a half fare card, 60 yo and up is 119 chf total.
However, if you commit to advance purchase nonrefundable tickets now, you can get a SuperSaver Ticket for two, 60 yo and up for 63 chf total. The Half Fare Card makes no difference for this offer. Prices are for a random weekday in late September. Deal may not be available for your specific travel day. www.sbb.ch

Posted by
32745 posts

But if you don't get that deal you can still use the half fare card on the portion of a normal ticket which falls inside Switzerland. The helpful Trenitalia person will sell you a ticket all the way to Zuerich allowing for the discount on the portion discounted.

If you can, get the deal outlined above.

Posted by
8889 posts

I don't know about Trenitalia, but SBB normally sells you physically two tickets. A "Half fare" Swiss ticket to the border station, and a full fare italian ticket thereafter. Since Swiss fares are (per Km) much more than Italian, the saving is greater than the diistances imply.

Posted by
16893 posts

Without being certain that all Italian agents can (or remember how to) apply the Swiss discount, I would feel more comfortable booking the return from Milan either in person in a Swiss train station or now on the SBB site (check whether you can print tickets at home or must pick up in a Swiss station). International tickets purchased on the Trenitalia site must be picked up in an Italian station.

Posted by
20085 posts

Since you are starting in Switzerland, you can buy now on line and pick the tickets up at any Swiss train station before you head to Venice and have them with you for the return to Zurich airport.

Posted by
32745 posts

I didn't get that the trip started in Switzerland and that this is a return. I thought the trip started in Venice.

By all means then, yes, absolutely, let the SBB agent go the magic.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for all the helpful information. We will buy the half-fare card and rail tickets when we arrive in Basel.