Please sign in to post.

Lausanne

Hello, My fiance and I will be spending 2 nights in a hotel in Lausanne before heading to Berner Oberland for the part of our honeymoon this September. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things to do in the area we will be in. I know we want to go Château de Chillon. We had also thought about the Chocolate train but since we arrive on a Friday and leave on a Sunday I don't think the actual train is running (though we could go on our own, is this worth it?). What else have people enjoyed doing in this area? Thank you!

Posted by
16 posts

The Olympic Museum is worth an hour or so if you are into sports.

The cathedral at the top of the hill has organ concerts but we weren't there when one was going on. It might be worth looking at their (and your) schedule

Rick Steve's Switzerland book has a walk through the old part of town that hits a lot of the highlights of Lausanne

You can manage to see most of the sites that the chocolate train goes to just by riding the train but you miss out on riding in the antique car and a complimentary chocolate croissant. You can find trains from Lausanne or Montreux that go to Gruyères (for the cheese) although you'd have to walk up to the castle or to Broc (for the chocolate) which is a very short walk to the Callier factory
We just did the Chocolate train about 2 weeks ago and it was probably our most enjoyable (or 4 days) around Lake Geneva

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for that info!

Actually yes we are staying in Murren for 3 nights! What are your favorite activities to do there? We've never been but are really excited for that part of our trip!

Posted by
328 posts

I'd highly recommend a walk through the Lavaux Vineyards. They are lovely with breathtaking views.