Please sign in to post.

weather in september

Hi worried bout d weather in sept.wanting to see autumn colors.m reaching Zurich @7.00 a.m on 7th sept....m confused as to stay there for a nite or go to Lucerne directly n add on my stay .NY nearby scenic small village or town u can suggest for 1 night ....v ll b in Lucerne on 8th September....planning for 10 nites in Switzerland n 2 nites in Salzburg .my tour ends in St.Moritz.is it worthgoing to Davos or chur for an excursion from St.Moritz....please suggest me NY attractions I shud not miss.v r taking pilatus n glacier 3000 excursions.....will be in Zermatt for a day .shud I add more days or this wud b k.working on a tight budget also.....do reply at d earliest for my queries.thank u sir

Posted by
35 posts

Weather averages in September at the elevation of Zurich would be high of 69 degrees, low of 53, and 20 days of no rain. Temperatures will be lower at higher elevations, of course, and mountain weather is changeable. Our website gives a list of our priorities for Switzerland, at http://www.ricksteves.com/europe/switzerland/itinerary. We would choose Lucerne over Zurich, going on to Lauterbrunnen or Muerren in the Berner Oberland for scenic small town. A great excursion from St Moritz would be the Bernini Express route to the Italian border (Tirano) and back. If you are going to Zermatt, stay two nights minimum in order to have one full day there.

Posted by
32198 posts

The wording in your post is a bit hard to follow. Is there any possibility you could edit for clarity?

To answer the question in your title, I've found that the weather in September is usually sunny and pleasant, although rain is certainly possible. The days will be reasonably warm, but the nights could be chilly, so a light coat or sweater would be advisable.

Posted by
12040 posts

September usually has the single best weather for enjoying mountain scenery and hiking, but you're too early for the autumn color change.

I speak three languages, but I can barely understand the rest of your questions.