Please sign in to post.

train questions

I am spending a week in Switzerland before I head to Italy for another week. I plan on taking the train from Spiez to Arezzo Italy. I am not sure if I should purchase the tickets now online or is it safe to wait until I get to Switzerland in June to buy them in person. My fear is the train will be sold out.

Another question I have is the transfer in Florence is only 15 minutes is that generally enough time for an inexperienced train traveler or should I look for another schedule?

Posted by
20085 posts

Trains generally don't sell out, just the cheap tickets. Looking at the SBB schedule, There is an EC train leaving Spiez at 8:05 to Milan. SBB is selling tickets for 22 chf in advance, but apparently just on Monday-Thursday. I did not see it offered on Friday, just the standard fare of 77 chf. I also see they are offering the connection on to Florence for an additional 62 chf. But if I go to Trenitalia, they are offering that train as Supereconomy at 25 euro, which is half the price the Swiss are offering. They also offer the transfer to Arezzo for an additional 7.90 euro. So buying 2 separate tickets and traveling on the right day will save almost $100.
And 15 minutes (I show 14 minutes) is a comfortable transfer time in Florence. Its a terminal station, so just walk to the end of the platform, turn to toward the new platform and board your train. The train to Arezzo originates in Florence and it will be waiting at the station. Besides, there is a train every 20 to 30 minutes to Arezzo and it only costs 7.90 euro.

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks Sam I really appreciate the feedback. It sounds like buying the tickets early is a money saver. One problem I have is our travel date is Thursday June 19 and ssb shows a weird train arrangement like a 14 plus hour duration compared to just a 6:55 hour duration the week before (June 12). The June 12 date is not only quicker but only 1-2 changes. Our true travel date has many changes and goes through out of the way cities like Zurich and Innsbruck. Do you think this June 19 schedule is correct? If so could throw a real wrench in our train travel plans. I appreciate any feedback.

One final question can I book the trip entirely from either ssb or trenitalia? If so what is your recommendation?

Posted by
20085 posts

The European-wide train schedule is on or about June 14. Since your route goes to Italy, the Italians have not finalized their train schedules yet (and they always wait until the last minute to do so). So in a couple of days, get the EC tickets to Milan if you can snag the 22 euro fare. You will have to take it on faith that, when the time comes, there will be fast trains from Milan to Florence every hour. Keep an eye on the Trenitalia site and be ready to buy the connection when it finally comes on sale, perhaps in May sometime. The Arezzo train is a regional, costs only 11.05 (now, there could be a small price increase), and runs frequently enough that you should not have to worry about it. Just remember to validate the ticket prior to boarding. In fact, it may pay to spend an extra half hour in Florence to buy the ticket there. Like I said, it originates in Florence, so you can be waiting on the platform when they spot the train and jump on and get your choice of seats.

Posted by
15 posts

Excellent advice! I feel more comfortable hearing this and will act accordingly. Thanks again Sam.