Please sign in to post.

Chocolate Train

Any opinion on whether this trip is "worth it"? Can you get a similar experience on a regular train and visiting the towns on your own? Considering this as a possible day trip in May.

Posted by
9099 posts

The official Chocolate train package is pricey, and mostly meant for tour groups. Having said that the train portion does use vintage Pullman rail cars which are spectacular. So it may very well be worth the extra cash if your into that sort of experience.

But the entire itinerary can be done using regularly scheduled trains, at a fraction of the cost. If you will be using the Swiss Pass the do it your self-tour would already be included in the pass.

Posted by
4 posts

My wife and I took the Chocolate Train Trip last July and enjoyed it! The cost includes train as well as bus transportation from Gruyeres cheese factory into town and then onto Broc to visit the Cailler Chocolate Factory -- we found that it was more convenient to do it this way than to do it on our own (we were traveling exclusively by train using a Swiss Pass). The Pullman type coaches were used for the train trip, so this was a somewhat different experience than traveling by other train coaches. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
48 posts

I didn't take the Chocolate Train but did visit both the cheese and dhocolate factories (we had a rented car). The chocolate visit was worth the 10 swiss francs as at the end you can just about gorge on that first rate chocolate, it's wonderful. I think driving there was more fun and could do our own thing. But to answer your question - yes, even by train it is worth it.