Please sign in to post.

Gimmelwald

Hello, I am going to Gimmelwald for two days in late Sept/early October 2014. I just have two quick questions I need your help with. One, is this a good time of the year to visit and as I am staying in Gimmelwald, is it easy to hike in the area and visit Murren etc?
Many thanks for any help you can give.

Thanks

J

Posted by
12040 posts

Mürren's a 15-20 minute walk up a not particularly steep hill, or a quick ride on a gondola.

The time you picked to travel is one of the best.

Before you commit to Gimmelwald... although the setting is lovely, some of us scratch our heads on why Mr. Steves saw fit to devote an entire chapter to this collection of barns and chalets (and barely mention Wengen or Grindelwald).

Posted by
3940 posts

Just wanted to mention time of the year. We visited in 2010 on Oct 1/2. There was not much going on. We went to Murren - it was pretty sleepy. (Which is nice if you don't like people and crowds and want to relax!) There seemed to be 1 restaurant open, we rented bikes to do the 'RS bike ride' and he had to go get them out of a shed where they were stored. The weather, for us, was perfect - sunny and we were surprised by how warm, we passed some people hiking the road/trails, but very...VERY...quiet.

Posted by
7209 posts

And staying in Mürren also means you can easily visit Gimmelwald. Having been to this area many times I've concluded that Gimmelwald is a nice place to visit and walk around...for about 30 minutes. Now if you're one of those "young adults" who enjoys the hosteling world then the Mountain Hostel in Gimmelwald would probably greatly appeal to you. For that reason I can understand why you might want to spend your time in Gimmelwald. Other than that you might really want to consider Mürren instead.

Posted by
6 posts

Many thanks to everyone for replying. I found cheaper accommodation in Gimmelwald, that is not the hostel; I'm too old for that anymore unfortunately! This is the reason for basing myself there and I will just visit everywhere from here, if humanly possible. Thanks for the advice on the time of year but am looking for it to be quiet as opposed to being busy. As I've only two days I reckon that I should have enough to keep me busy with Murren, Wengen, Schiltorn (weather permitting) etc.

Thanks again.

J

Posted by
195 posts

J,

Please see my current posting under "Trip Reports" for my Gimmelwald experience. Might answer the question as to why some of us talk about it all the time. Enjoy!

Posted by
6 posts

I'll definitely try the restaurant and thanks for this. I'll also check out the Trip report too. Thanks to all!