Please sign in to post.

11 days in June 2020: Kandersteg-Leukerbad-Murren

Hello,
We (3 active adults) are planning an 11 day trip to Switzerland mid-June of next year. all in good shape and love trekking, hiking.
Would love to hear your input on the itinerary, insider tips, etc.
Arrive in Zurich, 1st night in Lucern - 1 night
Kandersteg - 2 nights
Kandersteg to Leukerbad via Gemmi pass (will use gondolas and hiking)
Leukerbad - 2 nights (hiking and hot springs)
Murren - 4 nights (use as a base to explore the region)
Zurich - 1 night before heading back

Anything else to add/change? The duration in one area vs the other? I like to have a variety, but not move too much; with the nature, off the beaten path and mountain hikes, tranquility being the key. We did consider hut-to-hut but decided to use our hotel/airbnb as a base, and perhaps hike to the huts for lunch/breaks on the hikes. Appreciate your input and ideas!

Posted by
14 posts

Knowsley, that sounds amazing! Since we will be staying in Murren, we can hike from Gimmerwald in the direction of Kandersteg as a day hike.
I wonder if there is a way to get our luggage transported from Kandersteg to Leukrbad without hauling it all the way. We will pack light and will have backpacks, but still nice to have the option.

Posted by
16265 posts

We love to stay at the mountain inn by the lake at Oeschinensee.

https://www.oeschinensee.ch/

Two great hikes from there are Blunlisalphütte ( mentioned above) or to Fründenhütte, which is a spectacular hike on ledges with a steep drop right to the lake. There are cables for protection where you want them and it felt quite safe even to this height-averse woman.

Posted by
768 posts

Be aware that the Gemmi pass may be blocked by snow at that time of year.
Still, there are loads of lower trails that will keep you busy. Click on my name and you'll find a link to our dozen favorite trails in the Murren/Grindelwald area.

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you, Lola! Planning on hiking to the huts you have mentioned!

Shoe: thank you for the wonderful website you put together. Great resource! Already in bookmarks for the future reference!