Please sign in to post.

10 Days in Switzerland

Hello. My wife and I are planning a 10-day trip to visit a daughter who lives in Geneva and would really appreciate some recommendations on a few places to visit to round out our trip. We will be arriving in Geneva on Sept. 15 and since our daughter has a few days off, plan to travel with her to the Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen area for three days. From there, she returns to Geneva and we will continue on to Lucerne for a couple of days. We will have four days before returning to Geneva and catch a flight the following day for Nice. During a previous trip, we visited Bern, Zurich and Montreux. One idea is to take a train from Lucerne back down to Montreux then continue to Chamonix. Another thought was visiting Basel and Colmar, France. Thanks for any suggestions!

Posted by
2950 posts

Chamonix is more convenient from Geneva than Luzern. I would go to Colmar in Alsace instead (2h 15m with a connection in Basel).

Posted by
32752 posts

Are you taking her back to Geneva and then returning to Luzern the same day, or does she go west and you go east for the scenic 2 hour ride to Luzern? Will you have visited the Brienzersee, Brienz, and or Meiringen?

Posted by
22 posts

Many thanks for your suggestions! Colmar was mentioned in the "International Living" magazine as a great place for expats to retire - and so we've wanted to check it out. My daughter is returning to Geneva from Lauterbrunnen on her own so we will be continuing on without her. I had not considered visiting Brienz or Meirigen but since you mentioned these towns/villages I am now considering stopping over and probably taking a lake cruise and overnighting in one of these towns before traveling onward to Lucerne. From Lucerne, we either travel northwest to Basel and Colmar or southwest on the Goldenpass railway to Montreaux and back to Geneva. How does this sound?

Posted by
1371 posts

Since you've visited Montreux I'd go to Colmar. You can check out Basel but Colmar is special - plus they have the Route du Vin villages nearby.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks for the recommendation for Colmar and the Route de Vin; I found a great website for it: wineroute.alsace and it looks amazing! My wife and are retired and have been thinking of living a few months in different places each year while holding a base at our permanent home. Colmar just might be one of those places. Plus it is reasonably close to our daughter who lives in Geneva. This trip will give us a good opportunity to check it out and explore the area. Thanks again!