I'll be in Switzerland and Germany for 10 days with my husband and 4 yr old daughter before embarking on a 8 day Danube river cruise from Germany to Hungary. We bought a ticket with arrival in Zurich with a plan to visit some locations in Switzerland, then move onto Germany ending with 3 nights in Munich where we meet up with my inlaws pre-cruise. The cruise will include Salzburg.
We are hoping to do most transportation via train, but are open to renting a car if it's really helpful. We'd love some feedback...
1. Day 1: arrive in AM in Zurich and go straight to Bern.
2. Three nights in Bern. One day trip to Murten or Gimmelwald (or another town in that region), and 1-2 days in Bern.
3. Two to three nights in Lucerne. Mt Pilatus, etc. Perhaps half a day in Zurich.
4. One to two nights in Bavaria (probably drive from Lucerne, visiting Liechtenstein and/or Appenzell on the way). Stay in Fussen or Obergammerau or other. Visit the big castle, plus perhaps another castle, or luge.
5. To Munich for three nights. Day trip to Nuremberg, etc.
6. Total of 10 nights, already set by flights.
Please share your thoughts if you're willing to help!