Please sign in to post.

10 countries in 5 weeks!

Okay, all of you savvy travelers, our trip is upon us. We are leaving in a few weeks, looking forward to seeing our girl! I have watched videos and read the books but I'd like some advice from you guys that have visited these place in the last few months. In Switzerland, we will be staying in Lucerne and Murren. We will be stopping in Basel to drop our daughter at the airport, then heading to Lucerne. Are there any unforgettable experiences - or meals - in these locations, or along the road, that you could recommend? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. We are traveling by car so we are really flexible. Thanks, fellow travelers!

Posted by
12 posts

In Lucerne, our favorite meal was at BOLERO Restaurante. My husband and son raved over the ribs.

In Mürren, we stayed at Hotel Edelweiss and had two good dinners there. Our best dinner there was in the restaurant at Hotel Blumental.

Don't be surprised that some restaurants in Switzerland charge for "tap water", even though there are many fountains along the street where you can refill your water bottles with wonderful water.

Posted by
533 posts

Don't be surprised that some restaurants in Switzerland charge for "tap water", even though there are many fountains along the street where you can refill your water bottles with wonderful water.

All true - but if you try to bring that water into a restaurant to drink with your meal, that's highly frowned upon.

When restaurants in (some, not all) European countries charge for tap water, it's because they rely on it as part of their business model for staying profitable - similar to how American restaurants rely on 15-20% tips for their servers. Try not to feel annoyed or ripped off about it, any more than you'd want visitors to the US to feel annoyed or ripped off by our custom of large tips.

If you'd rather not pay for tap water, though, you have options. Cafeteria-style restaurants like Manora often have free tap water. Or you can get food to go (from a grocery store, bakery, or take-away restaurant) and have a picnic.

Posted by
12 posts

I wasn't really complaining about the tap water - just informing, as I was surprised the first time I saw it. And I'm not recommending that you take water in. Though walking by one restaurant where folks were eating outdoors, we did laugh when one young boy jumped up from the table to refill his glass from a fountain.

We got snacks and sparkling water for our room and lunch for our hikes from the Coop. It was great. I hope to return to Switzerland some day.

Posted by
112 posts

Our unforgettable experiences in the Murren area were hikes. Get out there and soak in the incredible natural beauty!!! Stop and sit and listen to the bells and the birds! My daughters and I will never forget our encounter with the Swiss cows in the midst of a gorgeous hike. Oh, how I want to go back to Switzerland!!!!