Please sign in to post.

Switzerland lodging

Hi all,
The RS books suggests that lodging is fairly easy to find in September. I'm contemplating not making reservations ahead of time so that my itinerary can be flexible. Anyone done this with good results? Will be in Zurich, Luzern, Bern, Berner Oberland, Chamonix and Annecy France. Fly out of Geneva.

Dates are either Aug 30-Sept 12 or Sept 13-25.
Any input greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

Posted by
7209 posts

If you're not particular about the kind of room you get or the price you may have to pay then sure - just show up and take whatever anybody else has elected NOT to take.

Keep in mind there are a myriad of possibilities as to what will be "leftover"...anything from shared bathroom facilities down the hall to the super expensive penthouse (which nobody reserved because of the astounding expense). I would probably choose the September 13-25 dates just because it would be a bit closer to the Fall Foilage season.

Posted by
795 posts

I would highly recommend making reservations in advance. It is easy to find lodging but not necessarily anything you'd want! These are popular places and people will reserve the more desirable places in advance leaving you scrambling for leftovers.

Posted by
5697 posts

If you use something like booking.com which has (some but not all) cancellable options, you can still have some flexibility in your plans. Seven cities in 14 days ???

Posted by
11156 posts

We had reservations at that time of year and our hotels looked full to us.

Posted by
192 posts

Thank you everyone for your help. I will make reservations. Your points are valid. I do want to control the price and have my own bathroom. Lol!

Laura. It's actually 5 places in 12 days. Flying in and out of Zurich and Geneva but not spending much time in either city. I do appreciate the input though.

Posted by
11294 posts

For the Swiss hotels, I found that many had poor or no availability on their websites (not third parties like Booking dot com - their own website booking engines). But, e-mailing the hotels got me the room I wanted. So, definitely call or e-mail a hotel if you can't find what you want online.

Posted by
16 posts

We went ro grindelwald in october prebooking our rooms. And that was a good idea. It was fill of people