Please sign in to post.

Staying in Wengen- or near by

We are doing the My Way Alpine Tour in late August. Tour will end in Chamonix.. after an extra day there we would like to head back over to Lauterbrunnen area maybe stay in Wengen.. Any suggestions where to stay.
We think four or five nights. So we could have four days to hike and just relax. We love Murren. Looking for some place with great views and maybe a patio or balcony…we talked about a little chalet but not sure how we would find one. Some place easy to hike or hop on train, tram gondola..Or if you have other suggestions for where to stay in the area..
Any tips would be fantastic.. also,

Thanks in advance.

Posted by
21 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Berghaus in Wengen and really loved it. Had a room with a balcony and a view of Wengen, and the Gondola. Nice family run place. Good food too.

Posted by
4675 posts

You may get better responses if you posted in the Q&A section- this Topic area is for Trip/ Hotel Reviews. Good luck!

Posted by
7245 posts

We stayed at Alpenruhe Kulm in Wengen. I just checked to make sure they are still open. Here’s their website. We stayed here on a return trip after being in the area on a previous RS trip. The views from the balcony overlooking the mountains were breathtaking! We were very happy that we stayed here.

https://www.alpenruhe-wengen.ch/gallery/

It’s a walk uphill from the train station. We were fine walking it, and the day we left, the owner offered to give us a ride down to the Wengen train station. If you don’t pack light, you might want to take them up on this offer:
“If you contact us timely we are happy to arrange for a pick-up at the Wengen train station. This is possible until 20:30h. However, the hotel is within a eight minute walk of the train station.”

Posted by
2661 posts

I have Hotel Schönegg booked for my June trip based on recommendations from other RS forum members.

https://www.hotel-schoenegg.ch/

I am super excited to stay in Wengen. I stayed in Lauterbrunnen this past Sept., which was great, but I fell in love with Wengen. It might have something to do with its proximity to Männlichen and the cows. 😊

Have a great trip!!

Posted by
144 posts

Pat. I tried to move my post like you suggested and I was told I couldn’t post it again. Maybe I should try deleting it and then repost 🤷‍♀️

Posted by
2303 posts

If you google Wengen vacation rentals you will find lots of offerings. You can also go through the usual sites: Vrbo, booking.com, TripAdvisor, Airbnb.

I had Chalet Gerbera booked for a trip, but ended up canceling. So I can’t recommend it personally. The view from the balcony is what I fell in love with.

https://en.chalet-protea-gerbera.com/

Posted by
383 posts

I have stayed 3 times at the Hotel Bären in Wengen - it became my 'pandemic getaway' during the last couple of years when travel was limited. Really stunning views from the balcony rooms, great breakfast and very nice, friendly owners who make time to chat with you and really put their hearts into the hotel. It's not cheap, but within the norm for Swiss mountain hotels, and at least you know your money goes to a local family business. Simply furnished but comfortable rooms and the right things are up-to-date (bathrooms, Wifi). The restaurant is really good too and also has a great terrace - high quality local dishes, very well presented, but not stuffy at all. They also have a small self-contained 'chalet' you can book.
It's only about 5 mins walk from the train station/grocery store/etc and there are a few nice walking trails directly outside the hotel. It is away from the main street, so it's quiet and peaceful but still central. There is also a nice outdoor public pool in Wengen with the mountains as a backdrop - great place to cool off after a day of hiking!!
The Hotel Edelweiss just a minute further down the hill from Bären also offers nice views and the owners are also very friendly. It's usually a bit cheaper as it's only 2-star, but well-maintained and cozy. The restaurant is not as 'sophisticated', but perfectly fine.

Posted by
509 posts

Hotel Eiger in Murren was the splurge of our trip to the region, but was terrific. Service, breakfast, view from the balcony...all memorable. (That was in 2010; I didn't have the courage to check current rates.)

At the least, take a minute to view their hilarious "Covid-era" video on the website; the one at the top of the list: "Hotel Eiger Murren Team Happy." https://www.hoteleiger.com/en/video-2/

Posted by
4675 posts

rca,
thx, that was a funny video. Of course, I had to look at all the hotel pix of the area, and now I REALLY want to return soon!