Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Luzern mid August max. $215/night

Hello,
My wife and I (2 travelers) are looking to book a hotel in Luzern from August 17-20 (3 nights) for our first anniversary trip . We will be taking the train in and out of the city. We would like river view if possible but I'm not sure if it fits our budget, and a balcony. We also like places with character and within walking distance of the train. All four of these are nice to haves but not deal breakers!
I want to splurge on the Palace for $268 a night, but my wife says the budget is maxed at $215/night. Are there any hotels that will give us a comfortable stay with river views within our budget?
For non-river view within budget, we are considering:
Hotel Schlüssel (is it too loud?)
Hotel De la Paix
Hotel Weisses Kreuz
Hotel Stern (No balcony)
Hotel Pickwick (Booked for our dates, going to keep checking availability)
Thank you in advance!
- Joel

Posted by
656 posts

I highly recommend the Tourist City and River Hotel. It is on the river, contains balconies, has a wonderful staff, within walking distance to everything (10 minute walk from the station), great breakfast included (which is a bonus as Switzerland is hugely expensive). Booking.com shows rates of $609 for your dates. The only issue might be that they don't have air conditioning but will provide you with a free fan if asked. I would suggest requesting this at the time of booking if you do decide to go with them.

Enjoy!!! Lucerne is one of my favorite places :)

Posted by
16241 posts

When I find a place I really like but is a bit over budget, I balance it out by choosing a more budget-friendly place elsewhere in our trip.

Another strategy is to choose a place with a balcony ( which I really enjoy) and save on overall costs by having a picnic dinner on the balcony one evening, instead of going out to a restaurant. Very romantic.

Posted by
977 posts

One of the things I enjoy most about travel forums, is the huge diversity in attitudes towards travelling in terms of budget, style of accommodation, eating experiences etc. As my nine year old grandson said to me the other day 'Nan, we all bring something different to the table". Now ain't that the truth!
I personally wouldn't bother about spending $153 over budget for 3 nights to get the accommodation I really want, or skimp on meals etc. to achieve that saving.

Then again, my travel philosophy is that I travel to the other side of the world to see everything I want to see and to do as much as i can within my physical, rather than budgetary limits. I have lots of 'fat' built into my travel budget. Think of a total budget and add 20% as a rule.

Posted by
656 posts

The Tourist hotel also has decent discounts in certain attractions in the area. They also hooked us up with a very nice paragliding experience and made all the arrangements. I would definitely stay with them again!!