Please sign in to post.

Hotel Stern Luzern annex

Has anyone stayed in the annex building of Hotel Stern Luzern? I tried to get a room at Hotel Stern Luzern based on the recommendation of those of you who have said that they had a good experience staying there. Unfortunately, they tell me that they have run out of rooms for the dates I am requesting. But they're offering a room in their annex, which they say is just a minute's walk from the main building. If you have stayed in this annex, would you please share your experience there? They didn't give the name of the annex building; thus, I could not look it up by name, to see reviews of other travellers. I'd appreciate your reply.

Posted by
6876 posts

Hi,
My mother in law is staying there right now, while I am in the main building. I prefer her room and location: the decor is nicer and so is the bathroom, windows are larger, the elevator isn't as scary as in the main building, and the location is better (quiet street next to river). Walking to the main hotel for breakfast takes two minutes.
So I'd say the annex is better!

Posted by
49 posts

Thank you for your reply, Balso. I really appreciate it. I feel better now that I have heard some positive comments about the place. I hope you and your mother-in-law have a great time during this trip!

Posted by
49 posts

Balso, did you notice if this annex building is right behind Wirsthaus Taube, which is on Burgerstrasse? I couldn't pinpoint the annex building using googlemaps. I'm stuck at Wirsthaus Taube when I try to navigate to Muenzgasse 4 (the address of the annex building).

Did your mother-in-law arrive in Luzerne by train? If so, do you know if she walked all the way from the train station to the hotel? And did she say whether it was not a difficult walk while lugging her bag? Thank you for replying.

Posted by
6876 posts

So, the annex is indeed right behind the Taube restaurant. Just at the point where the street dead ends (but there is a footpath under a building to the river - it is very, very nicely located). It is a fairly old building, but has an elevator (you need to climb a few steps to reach it). And the walk from the train station was very feasible for the not-so-fit 65 year old in question (max 10-15 min with luggage), but you first need to go to the main hotel to checkin. Easily done via Pilatus Strasse, to avoid the cobblestones of the older streets.
No such need for checkout, there's a keybox.

Posted by
49 posts

Thank you very much for your detailed reply, Balso. I really appreciate your taking the time to share. This clearly gives me an idea of what to expect. I hope you had a great time!

Posted by
1 posts

Are your rooms at Hotel Stern too warm without air conditioning and are they quiet at night?
Thank you!

Posted by
6876 posts

Our top floor room in the main building was too warm, the room in the annex was more manageable but then, I am used to living without AC. In both cases, it's quiet enough to sleep with open windows. Anyway, my search for a hotel with AC for less than $250/night had been fruitless.