Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Basel

We are jumping on a cruise leaving from Basel. Need a hotel recommendation. Would like to be fairly close to the port and reasonable cost as we won’t be staying long. Thanks for any advice!

Edited…looks like the port is Dreiländereck

Posted by
8440 posts

Cissy K, as I recall, there are multiple docks in Basel (not necessarily close to each other) that could be used, so you may not know which one will be used until shortly before the trip.

Posted by
2669 posts

Not sure where the port is, but I just stayed at the Hotel Schweizerhof, which is right across from the train station. Great location, staff, and breakfast. The trams are right outside the hotel, which might be a good way to get to where you need to go. The hotel will provide you with a ticket/card good for use on the trams and buses.

https://www.schweizerhof-basel.ch/en/

Posted by
191 posts

Ah. Did not realize that about the different ports. Good info. Let me Google

Looks like the port is Dreiländereck.

Posted by
5581 posts

We stayed at Motel One Basel. It was well priced, spotless and in the town center by some of the things we wanted to see before our river cruise. We took public transportation both from the airport and to the port.

Posted by
32742 posts

In case you don't recognise the German word "Dreiländereck" it means 3 country corner or triple border. So look to where France, Germany and Switzerland meet and it shouldn't be far.

In fact it is in the industrial area just before Weil am Rhein on the German side of the river. It is marked by a tall modern tower.

It is at the top of the number 8 tram which stops at the border, and just before and all the way into Germany to the centre of Weil am Rhein.

Posted by
191 posts

I live in The Triangle region of North Carolina!! Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. Fate!!

Posted by
16247 posts

Cissy, looking at the Dreiländereck port area on Google maps satellite view, it appears to be an industrial area lacking in charm and amenities. I personally would not want to stay near there. I think you would be better off staying in a nice hotel close to the Basel SBB station you will arrive at on your trip from Muerren, and then take Tram #8 or a taxi to the port the next day to meet your boat.

Unlike some cities where the train station area is a bit run-down or seedy, Basel offers a number of nice hotels and no “seediness” in the immediate area of the station. There is a wide open area full of tram lines directly in front of the station, with hotels on both sides and along the intersecting street.

The above mentioned Schweitzerhof is one such hotel, that directly faces the tram area. Last time we stayed at hotel Gaia, a smaller hotel around the corner. But my choice if we return to Basel would be Hotel Euler, across the tram plaza area (Centralbahnplatz) from the Schweitzerhof but facing a park.

https://www.hoteleuler.ch/en/

There are others right there as well, all within easy walking distance of the train station. We found it an easy walk to the river from there (for my husband’s afternoon swim), and lots of restaurants from with to choose along the river and in the area between the river and the station.

Posted by
191 posts

That’s terrific information! We will stay near the station. Thank you, Lola!!

Posted by
116 posts

We loved Basel Youth Hostel, great location near the river. Sleek, clean, friendly people, private rooms.

Posted by
2 posts

In 2018 prior to a Viking cruise we stayed at the Hotel.D https://www.hoteld-basel.ch/en/
The rooms were on the small side and very utilitarian but suited our needs. Air France lost my luggage (the 1st time I was convinced to check my luggage). The folks at the front desk were extremely helpful as I don't speak French or German. They were able to call the airlines and get status on my luggage and make delivery arrangements.
We found Basil to be a gem of a city. Easy to walk around, good food, plenty of sites to see.
I think we ultimately took a cab to get to the ship but as I remember it we could have walked.