Please sign in to post.

when to buy train tickets

We'll land in Stockholm and spend a couple of days with a friend in Uppsala.

Then we'll train from Uppsala to Stockholm Central and then to Gothenburg Central. It looks like there are plenty of trains most of the day. Is there any reason to book tickets ahead of time? This will be our first time in Sweden.

Posted by
1416 posts

No need to book train tickets in Sweden in advance.
Have a great Trip!

Posted by
6360 posts

Sorry Anders, that is not really how it works. For Uppsala to Stockholm you will save a bit of money if you buy it in advance, so if your plans are set in stone buy the tickets now. But you'll save maybe 20-25 kr so if you want flexibility it won't be that expensive.

Avoid the commuter trains, they are slow and not that comfortable. Use either SJ or Mälartåg. Tickets don't need to be validated but are only valid for one departure.

I'm also entirely sure what you are planning to do, are you planning to travel from Uppsala to Stockholm, and then later from Stockholm to Gothenburg. Or are you planning to travel from Uppsala to Gothenburg via Stockholm.

Posted by
4 posts

Tack, Badger,

The trip could be in two parts or just one part, but I suppose one part is fine. (At first I thought my friend would be taking us to Stockholm Central to catch the train but now I know that she would prefer not to drive into Stockholm--of course I get it--so that's when I had to add the Uppsala-Stockholm part.)

Would it make a difference price -wise if it was 2 separate trips or just 1?

Posted by
6360 posts

If you just want to get from Uppsala to Gothenburg it is very simple, visit www.sj.se and buy a ticket from Uppsala to Gothenburg. Don't faff around with separate tickets. And yes, the longer you wait the more expensive the ticket will be.

And why would you expect your friend to drive you to Stockholm to catch the train when there is a railway station in Uppsala? That would only make your trip longer and force your friend to do a 3-4 hour drive to Stockholm and back.

A single ticket will probably be a bit cheaper than two separate. But more important, it means the connection in Stockholm is guaranteed. If your first train is delayed and you miss your next train, you will be rebooked on the next available departure. If you have separate tickets, you are on your own and have to buy a new ticket at a very expensive price.

Posted by
128 posts

I just wrote it is not needed. If you book ahead and when getting to the station find out that your train is cancelled or severely delayed you might want to go with another company, so I advice against booking ahead if you are just going Uppsala-Stockholm, even if your plan is set in stone. If you want to go Uppsala-Gothenburg book it all on one ticket of course.

Posted by
4 posts

Badger,

There's no need to question my assumption about my friend. After all, it's my first time in Sweden and she has asked me to come many times. I asked her about trains and pick ups and she explained. Of course, it is no problem.