Please sign in to post.

Visit Sweden

Planning a 14 day visit to Europe that will either begin or end in the Netherlands for tulip season 2025. I’ve heard wonderful things about Sweden and wonder if anyone has recommendations for 3 couples that love good food, nice hotels, and spectacular scenery. In our mid 60’s, not sure everyone in the group can still hike 10 miles, but we can walk!

Posted by
6399 posts

There are certainly many wonderful things about Sweden and I can give you a lot of recommendations. But it would be helpful if you told us a bit more about when you plan to visit, how many days you plan to spend in Sweden, and roughly what price range you're looking at. And if you have any particular interests or things you're looking for.

Posted by
125 posts

Since you're starting from the Netherlands, I suggest heading through Denmark and up the west coast of Sweden, north of Gothenburg. You could travel by train to the university town of Lund, which is charming, and from there by train to Gothenburg. If you rent a car you have the opportunity to go off the beaten path along the coast north of Gothenburg. Head to Marstrand and/or further up the coast to Fjällbacka or Grebbestad. If you're interested in Vikings, there are stone inscriptions further up in Tanum. I would choose the area you want to visit and then look for suitable accommodations and restaurants. Gothia Towers in Gothenburg is nice and conveniently located.

Posted by
6399 posts

If you're interested in Vikings, there are stone inscriptions further
up in Tanum.

Those statements have nothing to do with each other. Yes, there are stone carvings in Tanum, but they have nothing to do with the Vikings. The carvings in Tanum are from the Bronze age, i.e. they were made around 1300-2500 years before the Vikings.