Please sign in to post.

Stockholm revisit - 5 nights/4days - late March 2024

I missed most of Stockholm in September 2022 as I caught COVID so we are coming back for a second visit. Last time we visited Gamla Stan, Drottningholm Palace and the Moderna museum, and had a lovely walk around Skeppsholmen and out to the Kastellet before I got sick.

My husband spent the five days I was sick walking around so he has seen pretty much everything on Sodermalm as we stayed at Hotel Rival which, by the way, was a lovely place to be sick. Good room service menu and breakfast on a tray. Coffee machine and fresh fruit available all day.

We will be staying at Hotel Rival again. Despite this hotel choice, neither of us (60 and 74) have any interest in anything ABBA related so the ABBA museum is not on our list.

Our things to do list is currently:

• Vasa museum
  • Fotografiska museum (the cafe has been highly recommended for lunch)
  • Army museum
  • Day trip to Uppsala

We would like to see something of the islands near Stockholm but are not sure what options there are - cruise or local ferry?

Anything else important we are missing?

Posted by
6389 posts

Sounds like a reasonable plan. Welcome back, I hope you manage to avoid any nasty viruses this time.

Visiting the archipelago is nice, but late March is still off season. I don't know if there are any cruises, but you can take a local ferry to Vaxholm and back. If I'm not mistaken Vaxholm is the largest town in the archipelago, situated on the island with the same name. So there are shops and restaurants there open all year. You'll also find a fortress nearby, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaxholm_Fortress that might not be open for visitors in March, but at least you'll be able to look at it from across the water.

Posted by
11159 posts

Take a ferry over to the island Fjäderholmarna for lunch, recommended to us by Swedish friends.
Tour Stockholm City Hall, a gem.

Posted by
6389 posts

Fjäderholmarna is a great place to visit for a short visit to the archipelago, but not what I would recommend in March. There are limited connections to the islands, and you can of course take a taxi but that is expensive. I would also not count on the restaurants there being open in March.