Please sign in to post.

Stockholm or. Copenhagen

The typical question of which city we should spend more time. I am still in the planning stages and cannot decide how to split my time between Stockholm , Gotland and Copenhagen .. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. We were not planning on renting a car but if it is a necessity we will do it.

Posted by
8130 posts

We prefer Copenhagen over Stockholm. Let me warn you that travel to the region is very expensive. We found the first trip to Scandinavia is especially great by a very reasonably priced Baltic cruise. We found a burger and Coke at TGI Fridays cost $30 each. A coffee or Coke at the 7/11 is $4 each. Traveling on the ship saved us big money.

Posted by
1478 posts

I haven't been to Gotland. I preferred Stockholm to Copenhagen. What are your likes? I think Copenhagen has a more social, night life vibe. Stockholm is better in the morning/afternoon. It is so clean and easy to get around. It covers more space. Lots of green areas and water features.

Posted by
1743 posts

It looks like you have one vote for Copenhagen and one vote for Stockholm so far. Don't count on me to break the tie!

Both are wonderful cities, and personal preference isn't really a useful factor to decide how to divide your time between them. Stockholm is bigger, so if you have more time, you are likely to find it easy to find activities and sights to fill it. When I went I spent 4 nights in Stockholm (which felt about right, though one more night would have good) and 3 nights in Copenhagen (which was not enough and I could have easily spent 1-2 more days there).

I haven't been to Gotland so can't weigh in on that.

Posted by
5508 posts

We found a burger and Coke at TGI Fridays cost $30 each. A coffee or Coke at the 7/11 is $4 each.

I think the lesson learned from David is don't eat at T.G.I. Fridays. Food in restaurants is more expensive than in the U.S. and a nice Scandinavian meal will be a far better value for your money than settling for a burger at a mediocre chain restaurant. 30 is about 240 SEK and there are plenty of places in Stockholm where you can get a nice Swedish meal like salmon and potatoes for that price.

What is the total amount of time that you have? I would probably spend 2 nights in Visby and divide the rest of the time between Stockholm and Copenhagen. I prefer Stockholm to Copenhagen because I think that Stockholm is just a visually stunning city. I admit some bias (I lived in Stockholm for a couple of years).

Posted by
308 posts

If I were you, I would try to split them 50/50 for your first visit. Both cities have a lot to keep you busy. Having been to both, I would love to go back to Stockholm. I enjoyed my time in Copenhagen, but it's not on my list of places to return to any time soon.

Posted by
251 posts

I was in Stockholm in Copenhagen a few months ago and spent 4 nights in each city. I thought that amount of time was perfect as it allowed me to spend three days wandering about the cities, going to museums, etc. and the 4th day was spent on a day trip. I took the train from Copenhagen to Stockholm and relied on public transportation the entire time. I enjoyed Copenhagen over Stockholm but both cities were amazing and beautiful!

I haven't been to Gotland, so I can't comment on that.

Posted by
1446 posts

I loved both cities so I too don't think I could pick. I've been to Copenhagen 3 times and Stockholm twice, so am ready to return to Stockholm. Much to see in both places.

Posted by
2527 posts

My preference is Stockholm as there is much to see and it has just a great ambiance from my perspective. Read the various bits of information available on this website and elsewhere to make a decision.