Please sign in to post.

Stockholm Archipelago

My wife and I will arrive in Stockholm May 31, 2017 around 10:00 am on a cruise ship. We will sleep on the ship the night of May 31 and disembark the ship the morning of June 01. We have not made plans on when we will fly-out of Stockholm, but no later than June 02. We've visited Stockholm on a prior trip but did not have an opportunity to take a small boat tour of the islands in the Archipelago. We also did not have the opportunity to visit the interior of City Hall. We'd like to do both this trip. Should we plan the Archipelago for the afternoon of the 31st (noting that we would not likely be off the cruise ship until 11:00 am but could arrive back in Stockholm any time), or should we make the Archipelago voyage the morning of June 01 and plan on flying out on June 02.

Posted by
2111 posts

Jon,
So much of that will depend on the weather...one day could be very cold, windy, rainy....and the next day it could be pleasant. If you can keep your options open re: which day you do the small boat tour, you can then check the weather and decide then. Rain can really minimize the lovely views, and it can be chilly on the water.

The inside of the City Hall is definitely worth the tour (which are guided), as well is a climb up the tower. The inside is very pretty, and it's fun to see photos (there was one in the paper just last week) of when a Nobel prize had been awarded years earlier, and know that you had been right there at that very spot, too. We found the Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel (not to be confused with the other Radisson within walking distance) to be a great location, as it was a super easy walk to City Hall and the view from our room was lovely, overlooking Gamla Stan. We were traveling with friends, and she had studied the Swedish Royalty (as a hobby), and we visited the Royal Chapel with her, which was truly lovely and so very historic.

We were just in The Baltics this past June. While we had checked average temps ahead of time, etc., we were surprised to experience some really, really cold weather. Our light fleece jackets/hooded rain jackets (over the fleece) just didn't seem to keep us warm. Since I didn't have gloves with me, I actually wore a pair of my husband's back REI wool socks as mittens one day in Russia....it worked!! In St. Petersburg, we learned that one of the days we were there an all-time historic record low was set for that day in June.....brrrr. Weather in Stockholm (where we started our cruise) was more pleasant, but at times the wind made it a bit chilly. The weather predictions just a day or two before we left home did not predict such cold temps.

You mention having been to Stockholm before, so likely you have already visited the Vasa Museum.

Posted by
768 posts

We are familiar with not-so-wonderful weather in Stockholm. We visited for 3 days in September 2014 and it was raining, or threatening rain, the entire time we were there. But then we experienced the same type weather in Kirkenes, Bodø, Bergen, Oslo, Copenhagen, , etc. etc. during our “bucket list” 5 week adventure (we’re still trying to figure out if the bucket was “half full” or “half empty”). We were in the Norwegian Fjords for five days on a ship (same trip) and visibility was about 1000 meters, with about a 200 meter ceiling for the vast majority of the daylight hours all five days. Ugh. We're hoping for better weather in June, but who knows. Yes, we did visit the Vasa, Nordic Museum and Skansen (where it was only a light mist). We’d really like to experience the Archipelago with some sun. On our prior visit, we just missed getting inside City Hall.

Posted by
768 posts

Margaret:
You mentioned you were on a Baltic cruise. Was your ship at the Frihamnen Cruise Port? If so, what transportation did you use to get to/from the center-city and ship? Since we will be in Stockholm overnight, we'll likely remain in the city as long as we can before heading back to the ship, we'd like to avoid a taxi as we remember the cost of just about everything in Stockholm is high (at least for us), and we imagine a one-way taxi would be at least US$ 100. I read somewhere there is bus service between Frihamnen and center-city but have no idea of schedule.

Posted by
5471 posts

Jon,
The buses from Frihamnen run pretty frequently. Most likely you will transfer at one of the tunnelbana stops. You can check times and routes on the SL site:
http://sl.se/en/

I'd wait to see what the weather is like before you choose your day for the archipelago tour. The City Hall tour is excellent; I've taken it at least half a dozen times over the years.

Posted by
2111 posts

Jon,
Sorry...I haven't been back on the Sweden forum to see your question to me.

We were on a Silversea (small-ish ship) cruise, and our ship was docked at Stadsgarden cruise port, which was relatively close to Gamla Stan.
Since we were at the Radisson Blu Waterfront, we had considered trying to take the Tbanna or bus then walk the bit that is not connected, but since there were four of us traveling together, we just took a quick taxi (which I think I remember correctly) cost less than E20. The taxi helped us to make sure we got to the right place and made it much easier for luggage (even though we each only had carry-on rolling cases).

Posted by
2111 posts

Jon,
Our cruise started in Stockholm, so we only had the getting-to-the-ship issue. But sounds like you will be visiting while on your ship, so it will be much easier not lugging bags, etc. Not familiar with your cruise port, but public transportation is so wonderful there. And, if your cruise is typical of most, there will be a destination expert on board that will likely advise best way to get in/back from town, etc.

Have fun, and I wish you perfect weather.

Posted by
768 posts

Thanks again for the responses. I've looked into things a bit more and we may not opt for the "Archipelago" boat trip. While the reviews I found describe the overall bucolic scenery of the trip, some have said if one has experienced forested islands with small communities and outcroppings of beautiful residences, the archipelago may not remarkable. While remarkable is a subjective term, I lived in Seattle for a period of several years and visited the San Juan Islands on many occasions by water and on-shore staying in B&Bs on various islands during the visits.

That said, I’m now pondering a shorter water excursion for our brief stay in Stockholm. One may be the “Under the Bridges” boat tour; the other is a visit to Drottningholm and traveling to and from the Palace complex by boat. Time permitting we may do both, but if a choice had to be made, which would provide the better from-the-water experience of the City?

Posted by
5471 posts

If you go to Drottningholm, I'd suggest taking the boat just one way to the palace and returning by bus / tunnelbana to save time. Drottningholm is on the lake, so you mainly see the portion of the city on Lake Mälaren ... you will get nice views of Stadshuset (the City Hall).

Under the Bridges takes you through the lock between the lake and the Baltic so you will get views from the Baltic as well. The more picturesque views are from the Baltic including some of the iconic views of Gamla Stan and Djurgården.

You potentially have time to do both. The boat for Drottningholm departs close to Stadshuset so you could tour Stadshuset in the morning and then take an afternoon boat to Drottningholm. Under the bridges could be done on a different day.

When you arrive by cruise ship, if you get up early on the morning of your arrival you will have an opportunity to see much of the beautiful scenery in the archipelago.

Posted by
768 posts

Laura:
You provided exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks. I'm hoping we get two sunny days this visit.

Posted by
973 posts

I thought sailing in and out of Stockholm is one of the loveliest sights ever, tho others on the cruise ship thought it was very similar to Vancouver's islands. There are several companies that offer short cruises of the archipelago, 1 or 3 hours ( or canal cruises) or hop on hop off, and you will see flyers for them, and can walk up and get on fairly easily. Or you can google it. Yo would not need to book in advance, unless the boat is bein used for an official shore excursion.
I liked the Baltic cruise so much I have taken it twice, and been docked in town and out, The taxi to and from were about 20-24-30 euros equvalent from one dock to the train station. We were there two days so also took the bus ( which was a little more trouble to get SEKs and then use the machine to buy the ticket, but there was an ATM inside the ferry terminal) .The bus was easy to use and interesting to see the residential area. On a small ship, we were docked very close, walking distance. Are you on a large ship, or small? The cruise company can tell you which dock.