Please sign in to post.

Scandinavia Itinerary

We have 6 weeks beginning Sept 1 to travel thru Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. Our tickets are round trip Copenhagen. Want to be in Harads over the Sept 23 equinox in hopes to see the Northern Lights. Need help putting the rest of the trio together. Traveling with a service dog.

Posted by
6384 posts

With six weeks, it can be a nice tour around Scandinavia, but a bit more information could be useful. What do you want to see and do apart from visiting Harads? And does it have to be the 23rd in Harads?

Posted by
27112 posts

September is a bit past the peak travel period for that area, which may relieve a bit of pressure on hotel rooms at tourist-oriented (as opposed to business-oriented) destinations. I'd still anticipate issues with availability in Norway's fjord country, so I'd strongly consider beginning the trip in Norway and getting accommodations booked for Oslo-fjord area-Bergen (or vice versa) so you know you have a place to sleep in Flam, etc., unless you want to take the one-(long)-day Norway in a Nutshell itinerary and avoid spending a night somewhere between Oslo and Bergen.

Rick has his top sightseeing picks on this website. You can find them here:

Denmark

Norway

Sweden

For an overall look at his suggested destinations, click on At a Glance. Then click on Places and on each entry. If a place has At a Glance as an option, click on that for specific suggested sights.

Keep in mind that those are one person's opinion. Your special interests should guide your choices. I find Rick's suggested day allotments way, way too short for me in cities of any size. The web information ignores Gothenburg, which I liked a lot.

You'll also find Rick's videos and podcasts available from the above links.

Posted by
3 posts

Want to see the main sights, not set in stone with Harads, just hoping to see the Northern Lights. We are well traveled and more than cities want to absorb as much as we can of the countries and the people. We are both of Swedish and Danish descent but live in Hawaii!! We are game to drive, train, whatever. Our Service Dog has been to Europe before and on every means of transport there is.

Posted by
6384 posts

Do you want to see the places your ancestors emigrated from, and if so, where are they? And since you mentioned a service dog, what disabilities do you have?

Posted by
3 posts

We don’t know anything really about the ancestors. I have my dog for Alert and Support. I want to take your advice and leave Copenhagen and go to Norway a day or so after arrival. Maybe a couple weeks driving and staying in a few small towns? Also want to go on the Flam train. Thank you!!

Posted by
6384 posts

I have really no idea what an Alert and Support dog does, so you need to inform me if that means any special requirements. Just make sure you are aware of the requirements for bringing a dog across the borders.

Going to Norway first was not my suggestion, but it's not a bad idea. It will however be hard to combine with a stay in Harads on the 23rd, but if you are willing to move that a bit I'd suggest a route something like this (I'm assuming six weeks means 41 nights).

Arrive in Copenhagen. Spend the first night in Copenhagen.

4 nights on Jutland. Then ferry to Oslo.

3 nights in Oslo. Norway in a Nutshell or a variation of it to Bergen.

1 night spent between Oslo and Bergen (Flåm or Balestrand or somewhere else).

2-3 nights in Bergen. Rent a car and drive north along the coast. Or take buses or the Hurtigruten coastal ferry. I don't know how easy it is to find a rental car that allows you to bring a dog. Continue north to Ålesund, maybe spend a night somewhere on the route.

2 nights in Ålesund. Then take the bus or drive to Kristiansund (and return the car) and take the ferry to Trondheim. Or, take the bus to Åndalsnes and the train to Trondheim.

3 nights in Trondheim. Train to Bodø.

1-2 nights in Bodø, ferry to Svolvær.

2-3 nights in Svolvær. Bus to Narvik and train to Abisko.

2-3 nights in Abisko. Great place to see the northern lights. Train to Boden and on to Harads.

2 nights in Harads (or as much as you prefer). Train to Umeå.

1-2 nights in Umeå. Train to Sundsvall.

1-2 nights in Sundsvall. Train to Uppsala/Stockholm.

5 night in Stockholm, or 1 night in Uppsala and 4 nights in Stockholm. Ferry to Gotland.

2-3 nights in Visby. Ferry to Oskarshamn and bus to Kalmar.

1-2 nights in Kalmar. Bus to Karlskrona.

1-2 nights in Karlskrona, train to Lund. 2 nights in Lund, train to Copenhagen.

4 nights in Copenhagen, fly home.