Please sign in to post.

Planning Help

We will be in Stockholm for about 6 days at the end of August. We would like to see one or two other places using public transport. We would have an additional 4 days. Any suggestions for a must do?

Posted by
6405 posts

What are you interested in? What do you want to see and do? What does the rest of the trip look like?

Posted by
5 posts

Hello Badger. Before Stockholm we will be in Norway. From Sweden we will head to Copenhagen. We are interested in museums and historic sites. The four days would also be over a weekend and a Monday. I’m unsure how that would impact museums as I know often they close on a Monday. We will not have a car. Thank you!

Posted by
27129 posts

Here are some hours of operation for museums in Stockholm. This is by no means a complete list, but perhaps it will help you a bit with figuring out what might be available on which day of the week:

Open every day (in the summer, at least):
- Fotografiska: 10 AM to 11 PM. Tickets cheaper if bought online in advance.
- ABBA the Museum: 10 AM to 8 PM.
- Skansen: 10 AM to 6 PM. Some activities may have more limited hours.
- Vasa Museum: 10 AM to 5 PM, except 8 PM on Wednesday.
- Liljevalchs: 10 AM to 5 PM, except 8 PM on Tuesday and Thursday.
- Royal Palace: 10 AM to 5 PM. This has multiple museums.
- Armemuseum: 10 AM to 5 PM.
- Nordiska Museum: 10 AM to 5 PM.

Most other museums are closed on Monday; these have some extended hours on other days:
- Moderna Museum, is open until 8 PM on Tuesday and Friday and until 6 PM on other days.
- Medelhavsmuseet is open 11 AM till 8 PM on Tuesday-Friday and until 5 PM on weekends.
- Historiska Museum is open 10 AM till 5 PM except Wednesday when it closes at 8 PM.

The National Museum, unfortunately, is closed both Monday and Tuesday. Its government funding took a big hit this year, and it now charges an admission fee.

Sweden has many lovely towns. Uppsala's north of Stockholm. Ystad and Lund are in the south, not far off the direct route to Copenhagen. Of those three, I have a sort of vague feeling that there would be more to do in Uppsala on a Monday. However, you could spend at least half a day in any of them, just wandering the atmospheric streets.

I liked Gothenburg a lot. It's worth a lot of time for general exploration outdoors. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a lot to do indoors on a Monday.

Stockholm's a considerably better place to be on Mondays.

Posted by
6405 posts

Based on the information you provided I'd suggest a trip to Uppsala and a stop in Visby on the way to Copenhagen.