Please sign in to post.

Norway in a Nutshell question.

Is there a way to do the Norway in a Nutshell from Stockholm? Round trip?

Posted by
5835 posts

Yes, but it would require getting from Stockholm to Oslo (or Bergen). You could fly to Oslo from Stockholm and return via air to Stockholm from Bergen).

Posted by
408 posts

We are taking a Baltic cruise and we start in Stockholm and end in Bergen. At the end I know my husband will be ready to fly home so I was trying to do it prior to the cruise. Is that doable or a waste of money? I guess I can try to convince him to do it at the end.

Posted by
5835 posts

I'm now understanding your Sweden question in the context of your Norway Nutshell in a day from Bergen question.

Would the day of "Nutshell" be worth the effort and expense? In my opinion, yes. I don't do cruses by have done an overnight voyage on a Hurtigruten cruise ship along the northern Norwegian coast. The add of the "Nutshell" is the boat segment from Gudvangen to Flåm goes through a narrow inland fjord that a cruise ship would not dare navigate. Then the Flåm to Myrdal is one of the steepest non-cog rail routes taking you to the Hardangervidda, a spectacular high plateau back to Bergen.

If you have the extra day, do it. It is a restful journey where connections are a short walk between the differing modes of transportation.

Posted by
5514 posts

I would do the Norway in a Nutshell at the end of your trip as a round trip from Bergen (Bergen Voss Flåm Gudvangen Myrdal Bergen). It really doesn't make sense to do this from Stockholm.

Posted by
408 posts

Yes Laura, I agree with you. Why make it difficult when it can be done easily from Bergen. Any recommendations on a hotel stay on the route for one night?

Posted by
94 posts

Do it at the end of the trip even if you have to leave the hubbs in the hotel and go on your own. Or maybe you have a huge budget to fly from Stockholm to Bergen/Oslo for this one-day trip (which could almost into three days)? Seems a bit nuts to go so nutty over the Nutshell from Stockholm. (Apologies...couldn't resist!)

Posted by
284 posts

Sure? Take a train or fly to Oslo, do the trip, then head back.

Posted by
408 posts

We are going to do the Norway in a nutshell at the end of the cruise from Bergan to Oslo. We booked three nights in Flam at a hotel. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.